biggamefish

Soft/flexible Top Coat?

If kbs is rock hard when cured then it's not going to do what I need,

Nathan, does those plasti dip bond to hard plastic material as good as automotive clear and epoxies?

If kbs is rock hard when cured then it's not going to do what I need,

Nathan, does those plasti dip bond to hard plastic material as good as automotive clear and epoxies?

KBS sounds good .. lots of people using on cranks, I'm on a fb forum that swears by the stuff.. but its highly toxic.. don't use in your house without much ventilation. I was looking at it .. but epoxy will do just fine..at least it wont kill everyone in my house :)

Edited by northrivergeek

Kbs is not that bad, at least to other stuff I've used, that I know of. I dip outside, or wear a mask and have the vent on when I'm in the garage. It is very tough, but still retains flexibility. It is really hard to explain it's characteristic. It will dry rock solid, but still expands/contracts with the wood.

• Like 1

Kbs is not that bad, at least to other stuff I've used, that I know of. I dip outside, or wear a mask and have the vent on when I'm in the garage. It is very tough, but still retains flexibility. It is really hard to explain it's characteristic. It will dry rock solid, but still expands/contracts with the wood.

If I dip outside , and let lures hang .. whats the average time before they skin over so I can bring them back inside without the fumes.. I have a outside the house workshop, but no heat or ac in there .. maybe I could build a drip box on the back deck, then bring them in once the smell dissipated  

I dip and hang outside when it isn't cold. Watch the weather though, I let the last lure I did hang from 11am to probably 2 and in that time it got hot, so it cured, but bubbled weird in some places. There was clear coat under the bubbles, and they were paper thin. Just don't let the temp change bad on you and you should be fine!

Yes it will bond..tough stuff...but it has a Matt finish...Nathan

Lately I have been wondering whether matte or gloss really matter that much once a lure is in water. Isn't a finish is matte because an irregular surface diffuses the light. The difference between light reflecting properties of the finish and the air are very high. The comparative difference between water and the finish are much less. Dip a matte finish in water and it has the same wet look of a gloss ( for some strange reason). It is worth considering. I bet if you submerged two lures ,one gloss and one matte, you would not be able to tell the difference.

• Like 2