porkmeatballs

More Swimbait Problems...

Try adding weight in small increments until it either corrects the problem or it sinks like a rock. You want to use as little weight as possible to correct the problem. If it sinks like a rock and still hasn't solved the problem then you may have to change the design of the bait. If it does solve the problem then you will know there is too much weight above the centerline. To keep the sink rate of the bait as it is now you will have to raise the tow eye. By raising the tow eye you will have raised the center of gravity. Raising the center of gravity is essentially the same thing as adding more ballast since more of the bait will now be below the centerline.

Ben

• Like 2

I think the length of the segments is off. Maybe cut the rear section into 2 sections. I read somewhere on this site that the proportions should be 2:1:1 or  1.5:1:1. In other words, the head should be 1-1/2 to 2 times the length of the rest of the body segments. 

Wow, I never thought about that! Would this be the same with only single jointed baits?

To me, single joint swimbaits are mostly glide baits, and both sections are more or less the same size.  You can look at the S Waver to confirm.

A totally free hinge, and having both sections fall completely horizontal and at the same rate, were the keys for me to get my bait to glide.  Thanks to all the TU members who helped me solve this problem.

To me, single joint swimbaits are mostly glide baits, and both sections are more or less the same size.  You can look at the S Waver to confirm.

A totally free hinge, and having both sections fall completely horizontal and at the same rate, were the keys for me to get my bait to glide.  Thanks to all the TU members who helped me solve this problem.

Words of wisdom  :D. So much to try out on my gill now!  To bad I'm starting to carve a new shad... It distracts me

• Like 1