JBlaze

Shimmer Shad

Anyone ever put cloth on the side of a crank bait?

Quite some time ago, I purchased some cloth that had a very shimmerey flash to it when held up to the light. It was very thin. I made a crank and glued the cloth to the sides of it. Well the cloth had small stiff little threads where I cut it out and I could not get them to lay smooth/flat against the sides of the crank and the protruded through the epoxy top coat. I did manage to catch a few bass on it before it started shedding the top coat. A few days ago while looking for something else, I came across this cloth and decided to take another stab at it. So far it is looking like it might work. I used 3m contact cement this time, hopefully it will do a better job. Just wanted to show how the sides change colors as it rotates on the dryer. Will post a pic in then gallery when they are finished.

John

If it is a regular thread try using a hot knife to cut the shape, you may get it to lay down then.

I

It looks like a flat thread, I jut put the second coat of D2T on and I can see a few of the threads sticking through it.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have a hot knife for cutting decals, that should work. Again, thanks.

John

Edited by JBlaze

Sanding after the first coat will work the same way you layup firberglass mat. Just grind the edge smooth and recoat. Also, if you want a very clean line for the edge, epoxy down a piece of material bigger than you need, and let this set and trim it to size with a NEW blade when it's in the gel state. For Devcon it's about 20 minutes.

this stuff looks like very thin/fine flat strips plastic or mylar or a similar material held/bound/woven together with something that looks like a fine spider web. I have no idea what it is.

I Think the next time I use it I will pass a flame over the edges as Richard suggested and I believe they may melt away

I like the effects of it and will continue to tinker with it until I get something that I am very happy with.

I bought the material at Walmart, it is very thin and translucent until I put it over a dark background or shine a light directly on it.