Chuck Young

Wood Densities

You are talking about making a master, and yes, you could do it with wood and then split it with a fine blade.  My concern is not with the master, that would be easy.

My future plan would actually mold a left shell and a right shell, then join them.  The joined piece would be as hollow as the injection molded versions today.  But, with silicones, there is a little flex in the mold and I am not sure you would get two pieces that would always match.  But, with a stiffer material like the VacMaster 50, or Platt 55 maybe, I think it could be done.

• Like 1

AA, if you support the the mold then it would not flex as much. if there is a little misalignment it can be touched up. It is a little more work than just pulling the bait out and some clean up.

I still believe that a cavity drilled into the body would eliminte buoyancy issues in resins, or a few holes. As I stated, I put in rattle chambers and I have to place more ballast in to compensate if needed, well more like if want. I like slow floating baits a lot, I have to slow them down some times.

10 hours ago, gliders said:

Nice one doubleT , may all your gliders glide ! Now you just need a lead mine....

Thanks Gliders. I've used wheel weights in the past to make sinkers and such but they are getting harder and harder to come by. A friend of mine that casts his own bullets gave me a large piece of lead (probably 30 lbs.). I'm hoping that will do me for a while. lol

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:34 AM, SW Lures said:

AA, if you support the the mold then it would not flex as much. if there is a little misalignment it can be touched up. It is a little more work than just pulling the bait out and some clean up.

I still believe that a cavity drilled into the body would eliminte buoyancy issues in resins, or a few holes. As I stated, I put in rattle chambers and I have to place more ballast in to compensate if needed, well more like if want. I like slow floating baits a lot, I have to slow them down some times.

I agree, supporting the mold will help.

I also totally agree about drilling into the body cavity, I just have issues being consistent that way.  Still, I bet that one could mold a hollow chamber inside it, like maybe a stoppered straw (just brainstorming).   Some are very consistent with their drilling so that would not be necessary.

And of course, rotomolding works very well also, molding with a consistently less amount of material.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SW Lures said:

AA, one of these ideas could eliminate a lot of peoples problems with resin baits. Normally what I read is that baits dont float. A jig could give you a controlled condition in drilling with a drill press for depth.

A jig could indeed, but now that I have moved twice in the last two years, I don't have a good shop anymore.  I have taken over the dining room and that means limited room.  LOL.