walleye warrior

Respirator For Plastisol

Travis,

I had a look at the link you provided, great info but a lot of choices, I'd like to hear exactly what filter choices people are making for both lead and plastic, I much prefer ventilation to respirators, but when it's cold in my garage it's hard to maintain heat and ventilation at the same time, basically I cut back on the ventilation so a proper respirator would be a big help.

• Like 1

I use the 3M half face respirator, the 6000 series, with the 6001 filters.

Keep it in a resealable plastic bag, like a big freezer baggie, when you're not using it, because the charcoal filter will continue to suck fumes out of the air while it's just sitting around.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Quick-Latch-Half-Face-Piece-Respirator-6502QLHA1-C2/205227208

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Organic-Vapor-Replacement-Respirator-Cartridges-6001PB1-1/206093695?MERCH=REC-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-206093695-_-N

Edited by mark poulson

Travis,

I had a look at the link you provided, great info but a lot of choices, I'd like to hear exactly what filter choices people are making for both lead and plastic, I much prefer ventilation to respirators, but when it's cold in my garage it's hard to maintain heat and ventilation at the same time, basically I cut back on the ventilation so a proper respirator would be a big help.

I have sent the same question via email to both Baitjunkys and Basstackle , asking what respirator they recomend for their plastisols. At this point I have not recieved a reply from either of them.

When did you send it? I have not seen the question asked?

You want a Organic vapor respirator. 

A N95, N100 Is a dust mask, "Particulates"  you may as well put cotton balls in your mouth.

A 3M 6006 will cover most gases, You got to block vapors, not dust.

Recommending a full or half face respirator to someone who hasn't been fitted for one is worse than the n95.

If you're going to buy a half or full face you need to know a couple of things.

No facial hair is highly recommended.

Get fitted by someone certified if at all possible.

If you don't do either of these you're going to be breathing in more than you would with a simple mask and likely do more damage.

Recommending a full or half face respirator to someone who hasn't been fitted for one is worse than the n95.

If you're going to buy a half or full face you need to know a couple of things.

No facial hair is highly recommended.

Get fitted by someone certified if at all possible.

If you don't do either of these you're going to be breathing in more than you would with a simple mask and likely do more damage.

Ensuring that the mask is fitted and working properly is the sole responsibility of the person buying it and using it, not the person suggesting it. 

You recommended a particulate respirator to filter vapours. As posted, you will want an organic vapour cartridge, such as the 3M 6006 cartridge, which would be sufficient most likely for lead as well

Edited by DaveMc1

Actually as a composite repair technician I do understand what the chemicals are. But I'm not going to go into great detail about my knowledge of plastics. I recommended the n95 because with good ventilation the only real threat you have with plastisol is going to be the fine flake and other materials added along with the risk of spatter. A half mask is highly recommended, but unless you're fitted means nothing. The n95 is a self fitting mask and doesn't require any certification. In my line of work these masks are considered sufficient when in a well ventilated area with PVC based plastics. But that's here nor there.

When did you send it? I have not seen the question asked?

You want a Organic vapor respirator. 

A N95, N100 Is a dust mask, "Particulates"  you may as well put cotton balls in your mouth.

A 3M 6006 will cover most gases, You got to block vapors, not dust.

As a manufacturer of plastisol's all of our employees where a N95 mask when throwing batches but keep in mind this is a totally different process than heating / curing plastisol.  I have also worked for a manufacturer that processed a large amount of hot dip plastisol's and the operators were not required to wear any respirators just safety goggles.  This company was also in an industrial setting with good exhaust systems.

Although the SDS on the majority of plastisol's do not require a mask I would highly recommend a Paint type respirator if you have a poor ventilated area or a sensitivity to the smell.  If you accidentally burn the plastisol please evacuate the area immediately until cleared.

• Like 4

Plastisol releases Dioxins when heated. I am not gonna recomend a particulate filter for the home guy cooking this stuff in his Microwave. If other big business wants to that is up to them.

I can not really believe a major manufacturer, would suggest what they did at another place is acceptable.

Pov

I really dont care what your msds says, I know what mine says.

Actually as a composite repair technician I do understand what the chemicals are. But I'm not going to go into great detail about my knowledge of plastics. I recommended the n95 because with good ventilation the only real threat you have with plastisol is going to be the fine flake and other materials added along with the risk of spatter. A half mask is highly recommended, but unless you're fitted means nothing. The n95 is a self fitting mask and doesn't require any certification. In my line of work these masks are considered sufficient when in a well ventilated area with PVC based plastics. But that's here nor there.

As a composite repair technician what is the required filter for Chlorine Dioxide?

As a composite repair technician what is the required filter for Chlorine Dioxide?

As a composite repair technician I know that isn't released unless you burn plastisol. But I'm not going to sit here and argue with you or anyone else. That's not why I'm here. I have bigger things to concern myself with.

As a composite repair technician I know that isn't released unless you burn plastisol. But I'm not going to sit here and argue with you or anyone else. That's not why I'm here. I have bigger things to concern myself with.

There are chemicals released as you heat the plastisol, there are a whole lot of nasty chemicals released when you burn it. All of which a particulate filter will not touch. Get a mask, have it  fitted and run the right filters, ones health isn't worth gambling with. 

• Like 2