walleye warrior

Respirator For Plastisol

Plastisol releases Dioxins when heated. I am not gonna recomend a particulate filter for the home guy cooking this stuff in his Microwave. If other big business wants to that is up to them.

I can not really believe a major manufacturer, would suggest what they did at another place is acceptable.

Pov

I really dont care what your msds says, I know what mine says.

I agree with Baitjunky's - A standard N95 particulate filter is not useful when melting / curing plastisol as it's is made for particulates and has no defense towards emitted fumes.  

Good Ventilation, Exhaust systems, and a  Paint / Chemical Respirator is recommended.  Below is our companies SDS wording on Hot Melt Plastisol's.

'During heating of product, vapors and gases may be released
that the end-user needs to take precautions to avoid employee exposure (such
as ventilation, or respiratory protection).'

My 6001 package says they are good for 8 hours.  I try and keep track of how long I wear my mask, and I keep it in a zip lock bag when I'm not wearing it.

So far, I'm up to 2 hours on this set of cartridges.

I wipe the inside of my mask with a kleenez before I put it into the baggie, because moisture builds up as I breathe, and I don't want mold to grow in it.

I use the 3M filter mask.... but if you wanted another more robust option - you'd have a pump pushing air to a "pressurized mask" pumping in fresh.... I used to wear one at my old job in the paint booth.... it's a little akward to get used to  - but pumping in fresh air so you can't breath the fumes eliminates the need for filters.... the pump was expensive (couple hundred) - but if you think about the cost of filters over years - may not be a bad option for those that really pour alot.

Heres an example... (no affiliation - I just googled pressurized air paint booth and this came up...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Constant-Flow-Supplied-Air-Mask-Airline-Respirator-System-Full-Face-Gas-Mask-/262618122851

j.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlowFISH said:

I use the 3M filter mask.... but if you wanted another more robust option - you'd have a pump pushing air to a "pressurized mask" pumping in fresh.... I used to wear one at my old job in the paint booth.... it's a little akward to get used to  - but pumping in fresh air so you can't breath the fumes eliminates the need for filters.... the pump was expensive (couple hundred) - but if you think about the cost of filters over years - may not be a bad option for those that really pour alot.

Heres an example... (no affiliation - I just googled pressurized air paint booth and this came up...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Constant-Flow-Supplied-Air-Mask-Airline-Respirator-System-Full-Face-Gas-Mask-/262618122851

j.

I tried one for wood working that had a short hose that clipped on something away from the work piece.  I learned pretty quickly not to clip it to my belt behind my back.  Memories of last nights beans.