mark poulson

Respirator Filter For Super Glue Fumes

I just spent the past three days on the DL from using super glue with the big garage door closed, so my fan didn't really get the fumes out when I was using super glue, and I didn't smell it until it was too late.

I had gotten cocky, and was not wearing my respirator.  

I have a 3M respirator from Home Depot, with the filters for painters.

Does anyone know if this is really enough for super glue fumes, or am I just fooling myself?

I was going to reply on the other thread but didn't get around to it.  Information is only good as the source giving it so please keep this in mind and research information presented.  Good ventilation is first and foremost a good first line defense.

Personally I would select a 3M Combination Cartridge/P100 particulate filter of the correct recommendation (organic vapor and acid series).  You cover both basis neglected by many.  You  protect yourself from the vapor/gases generated from the super glue and particulates of certain sizes.   The N95, N100, P100, etc.. all refer to the efficiency of the filter to remove particulates at/above 0.3 microns in size.  Most gases, organic vapors, acid fumes, etc... are much smaller than the 0.3 microns, add a few zeros after the decimal small and easily pass through the particulate filter.  So anything that evolves during the use of Super Glue (or heating of plastisol) that is smaller than 0.3 microns you breath in.   The use of a combination cartridge is a must to adsorb the vapors.   These filters have a given life span of  a given ppm for 8 hrs of use (depending on the exposure limit).  

Plenty of sites can be used to select the cartridge best suited for you use.  Can also contact the companies if needed for further clarification.  3M site has a search feature that will recommend the mask/cartridge needed based upon what you are being exposed to.  Methyl-2-cyanoacrylate and Ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate being the key words one should search for for super glue.   

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Reusable-Respirators/Safety/Worker-Health-Safety/?N=5002385+8709322+8711017+8711405+8720539+8720550+3294857497&rt=r3

http://extra8.3m.com/SLSWeb/selectDisclaimer.html?reglId=20&langCode=EN&countryName=United%20States

You will find out they will recommend a full face mask due to being an eye irritant but none the less ~4  different replacement cartridges are suitable.  If your current cartridge is one of those then good to go (but will need to think about a the frequency of replacement).  

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

Want to make sure we are clear on things.

P (also include N and R) are designations regarding the filters "oil" compatibility.  It means nothing in regards to efficiency in particle size removal and nothing in regards to organic vapor/acid vapor removal.

P= strongly resistant to oil

R= somewhat resistance to oil

N= not resistant to oil

The number following the letter represents the filtration efficiency of the filter.

95= 95% efficient removing 0.3 micron and larger particles

99= 99% efficient removing 0.3 micron and larger particles

100= 99.7% efficient removing 0.3 micron and larger particles

So a P100 filter would be strongly resistant to oil and remove 99.7% of particles 0.3 microns and above.  It would not remove particles smaller or stop organic vapors (pick any solvent that has evaporated, acid fumes, etc...).  A stand along P100 filter would not be recommended for exposure of fumes from Super Glue.

They also make Gas/Acid Vapor cartridges that effectively removed designated organic vapors and acid vapors.  These are meant to remove vapors only as they are drawn over the filter media, typically charcoal and other solvent/acid/amine specific media.

Add them together and you get a combination filter that removes particles from the air (dust, lead, TB, anthrax, etc....particles 0.3 microns and larger) and removes organic vapors and acid vapors.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 3

I know very little about the different types of respirators, but do remember reading a lot of what Travis says when I was researching a respirator for use with auto clears.

Another thing I remember reading was to store your respirator in something like a Ziploc bag when not in use. The filters are designed to be replaced after a certain number of hours of exposure. Keeping them sealed in an airtight container will help extend their life.

Ben

• Like 1

Want to make sure we are clear on things.

P (also include N and R) are designations regarding the filters "oil" compatibility.  It means nothing in regards to efficiency in particle size removal and nothing in regards to organic vapor/acid vapor removal.

P= strongly resistant to oil

R= somewhat resistance to oil

N= not resistant to oil

The number following the letter represents the filtration efficiency of the filter.

95= 95% efficient removing 0.3 micron and larger particles

99= 99% efficient removing 0.3 micron and larger particles

100= 99.7% efficient removing 0.3 micron and larger particles

So a P100 filter would be strongly resistant to oil and remove 99.7% of particles 0.3 microns and above.  It would not remove particles smaller or stop organic vapors (pick any solvent that has evaporated, acid fumes, etc...).  A stand along P100 filter would not be recommended for exposure of fumes from Super Glue.

They also make Gas/Acid Vapor cartridges that effectively removed designated organic vapors and acid vapors.  These are meant to remove vapors only as they are drawn over the filter media, typically charcoal and other solvent/acid/amine specific media.

Add them together and you get a combination filter that removes particles from the air (dust, lead, TB, anthrax, etc....particles 0.3 microns and larger) and removes organic vapors and acid vapors.

Travis, I have a 6000 series 3M mask, and the 6001 cartridges.  They say Organic Vapor Cartridge, for spraying paint, solvent, and pesticides.

Do you think these will work for super glue fumes?