Painter1

Looking For Custom Rods

I fish a swing jig on a constant crawl across a rocky bottom, no vegetation. Quantum put out a Tommy Biffle rod with a stiff tip that works pretty well, but is no longer available. If the tip flexes the jig stops while the rod loads up and then the jig jumps forward. Keeping the bait moving along the bottom at a steady pace is the goal.

Of course, the rod has to be castable but the minimum weight is 1/2 oz and typically 5/8 or 3/4 oz. I also want a split grip. Am thinking 6'6" to 6'10".

I am am also seeking a long light to ultralight spinning rod for fishing 1/16 to 3/32 oz finesse baits. I need it to be at least 7' to cast for distance in ultra clear water. These finesse baits have exposed hooks, sometimes with a light wire weed guard. I bought several Powell light action rods for this purpose but the tips break off with unacceptable regularity.

Suggestions for for stock rods are welcome but I would also be interested in having a professional custom make these. I would want several of each. Ideas?

Can't help you with the Biffle rod as I've never held or fished one. That said the most durable and in turn sensitive rod blank for your use is pretty easy, the United Composites UC70LXF. Just looking at the specs you'll see it's something special. My UC65LXF is 25 years old if it's a day, it' survived Alaska, Canada, Mexico, and canoe trips many times on the boundary waters and places like them.

Instead of laying up the graphite as other companies do, which is a throw off from the WW II fiberglass layup days, they use the layup techniques used in the aerospace industry of today. Best way to discribe it would be fiberglass durability in a full graphite rod.

Company has been around for maybe 30 years, used the be called Graphite USA. For a long time they were the only company that could build a graphite standup, heavy saltwater, or rail rod that could take the abuse. My bass and inshore rods built on these blanks have never failed me, my fly rods are now the only ones I take on wilderness trips, they take a ride in the bottom of the boat, fly strikes to the blank while casting, and fending off terns with abandon sith never a failure, for over 20 years now.

I agree with Bob.lablonde...distance casting is fine tuned art form that matches or builds rod around a specific reel that is also specialized to distance casting..you will get a few theories on ideal rod build..my 2cents..I once had cheep Shakespeare ultra cast..kinda a distance casting reel by Chance, matched it with a particular inexpensive berkley cheerwood..it cast far.I then tried to get a few more set up same,the ultra casts and Chery woods changed slightly every year.I haven't been able to get another balanced like that.. Custom built, several hundred dollars more got similar with higher grade reel..keep in mind actual distance casting reels are designed with special spools and wrapping that is not same as durability in actual day to day long hours and hundreds of hours a year..those are different parameters currently..you would have to choice or sacrifice slightly on distance and just get very good reel

I've had them bend when kids walk on rods.I've seen them survive assault by kids playing in fire.the wrap will curl off and guide is perfect.many times seen banging on road by my kids,it will scratch like any guide,but not break, then ice cold sub zero,they don't pop guide center like so many others will do. Plus super light weight.. and cheep..perfect in my mind