SW Lures

Doll Flys

I have been making bucktail for quite some time now and also been making some spinners and buzzbaits. Some friends asked if I could tie some doll flies (200-300). They use a 1/16 oz heads with a slightly longer shank for the hook. These also have feathers. These feathers look like they are the secondary branch of the main quill.

I looked around at some suppliers and found whiting feathers that looked close to what is on the ones they use but not exactly. Are these the ones or is there a alternative to these. Some will be use by me to. :) I have also found some from Walmart. These are assorted colors which is good to and are more to what is on the ones that they use. I will mainly be using pink, white, orange and red. I'm afraid that these may not hold up.

They use these for White Bass and Rock Bass in the spring, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice,

Dale

ps, LPO carries some to but I have to order some Wicked paint to. Which they don't carry. Grrrr!

Edited by DaleSW

There are a lot of versions that are called "Doll Flies" because it has become almost a generic term for a small light hair jig. I tie a doll fly on a 1/16oz walleye head and I use craft fur and mallard flank but I've also saw Doll flies tied with Arctic Fox hair so it depends on what the person really wants. Ask for a jig and then go from there.

• Like 1

The people that I'm doing this for is quite a ways away. I do have one of them. I think I'm going to ride up to a Bass Pro and try to match up with what they have. Then I'll know what I need from then on. These guys slay these fish with these baits. When other species arnt bitten, game is on with ultralights.

Thanks,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

I think you may be talking about marabou feathers . There are a lot of white bass in my area . Marabou is the dominant feather I have used for many years . After that comes hackle and then buck tail . Strung Marabou is the best of the best and can be purchased in any quality tackle shop or online . But if you buy from a fly shop it will cost more so look into some of our sponsors and buy there .

If you look at some of the auctions on ebay for Doll Jigs they'res a bunch of real ones.  This is the LAST original Doll fly jig i have and it's tied with Polar Bear and has a wedge head style jig head - still looking for a mold for them but it's the only one I have and don't want to take it apart.

Front View

100_7079.jpg

Side View

100_7075.jpg

lead collar with ball end which helps flair what ever material you use

100_7080.jpg

These are ones I tied up with Polar Bear

100_2860.jpg

Very good looking jigs, I do have some questions. Is that powder paint? If so, when you get to the smaller size hooks do you have any problems with the eye clogging up? If you do how do you clean these small eyes without scaring the eye? I will be in the sizes of #'s 2-4 on 1/16 oz jig. The others will be bigger.

I've been making bucktails in the 3/8-5/8 oz. for some time now, which you can work this problem out as you heat the powder for the last time. I'm just not confident in doing this in these sizes.

Any thoughts?

Dale

When I am doing smaller size jigs, I keep a box of round toothpicks there. If one does look like it may be an issue, I poke the tip of the toothpick through it after I hold it over the heat gun to soften it up. The toothpick pulls some of the extra paint away from the inside. Most time, this is only an issue with #4-#8 wire hooks. Glad I don't do to many of these lol.

• Like 1

I want to thank all of you for your answers. I just realized that hadn't done this yet.

Bob I'll do just that. We use 2-4 lb test line for this fishing and I don't want anybody to have trouble with cut lines. I'll take my time until I get somewhat of rhythm.

Thanks again,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

On the really small heads if you dip them in the powder paint just right you won't get any in the eye - slows you down a little but saves you time also.

Another option are these and they don't scar the eye holes at all - a buddy does 1/100th with them and no problems, heres the link on them - but get the 5 1/4" ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350240308826?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's the six pack I bought

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc214/Fatmans1/Paint%20color%20and%20mixs/100_7393.jpg

And the tips

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc214/Fatmans1/Paint%20color%20and%20mixs/100_7398.jpg

For small jigs I heat them holding the hook bend with pliers. Before I dip them I grab the eye with smooth jaw long nose pliers from Harbor Freight. I use 3 of them and alternate them so they stay cool. As long as the pliers are cool the powder doesn't stick to the eye. A bit tedious but it works for me. Hope this helps.

• Like 1