Tm Customs

Lathe Question

I am concidering buying a cheap mini lathe from harbor frieght. I am hoping to make bagley type lures BB mostly and other crankbaits. Is a lathe a good choice for making these or would it be easier to carve them? Is anyone making crankbaits on a lathe, because I think thunder shads are make on a lathe?

Awesome Bait company uses a custom made machine to make thier bodies.

A lathe will only give you symmetrical shapes, good for poppers, spooks & bodies of that flavor, if you want asymmetrical shapes like a diving crank, for now, you'll have to do some hand shaping.

Theres nothing wrong with using a lathe to get a basic shape & then further shape the lure body by hand.

The duplik8r (in the custom tools forum) was my attempt at making a machine similar in function to the custom machine that ABC & other manufacturers use.

Get a lathe if you have the money, its a fun tool & not limited to wood bodies. Ive used mine to shape a dowell rod into a senko-type worms. then used the worms to make molds from.

I suggest you get the Grizzly mini lathe.

It has a cast iron bed and variable speed motor

0-4300 with the twist of a knob, and its on sale

right now for $119. I have had mine for two

years and have had no problems.

Go here:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/items-list.cfm?key=560000&gid=853B3712-181B-46AE-8B47-3BE19DC1A9C1&site=grizzly

Coley

I like mallard's answer! Get to know the Item (its make -up) befor you buy. I agree also with the grizzlyBrand.They send parts in a hurry if needed. I have the grizzly mini lathe and its 2nd hand. bought it used for $50 and had to buy $30 of parts because I did not know how to shop around. The lathe was modifyed from the original version. Seams some one broke the plastic ( looks metal) housing with force(buckle) and re-made the part from wood.(the motor cover) Its better now then it ever could be from the original standpoint. use dowel rod not block wood on the mini lathe and its faster and less tooling.