A-Mac

Pressure (Degassing) Resin For Swimbaits

Hey everyone!

Has anyone tried vacuum casting?

I've seen this mentioned on the alumilite website, but I'm not quite sure how they actually do it.

Is this done before mixing resins, after mixing, or after pouring into the mold.

What type of products do people use to do this?

Vacuum casting to remove air bubbles from your molds or casted products works if you have the equipment.  If you are doing a large amount of bodies, it is worth it.  If you are doing a small number of bodies, you can get great results with using some simple techniques. Mostly minimizing the amount of air when you mix and doing a high slow poor with give you the best results.  

The only problem with degassing the resin is you have very little working time unless you are putting the entire mold in the vacuum chamber.

Degassing your mold material works well.

Here is Larry doing his thing...

Edited by buzfly

It is very easy with the right equipment. There are lots of informative videos on YouTube on pressure pots, And pressure pot safety. You can make your own from a Walmart pressure cooker, or you can buy an actual pressure chamber. Harbour freight has one for 100 that you can get for 60$ with all their great coupons. I went with the Walmart version, and it worked but when the pressure got turned up too high, it turned into a pressure cooker bomb. Let's just say you could see into the attic for a month or so. Haha! The one from harbour freight works great!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was interested in trying out there 60D hardness resin on a couple tool pieces. However, I was interested in trying it out on perhaps trying to make a 2-part crankbait (similar to an injection molded crankbait), only using resin instead.

It was recommended, but not a necessity with the alumilite 60D resin

Edited by A-Mac