spoonpluggergino

Balsa Wood

Here is some good info on balsa wood for the builders that use balsa. I have been buying balsa from different places and i came up on Specialized Balsa wood LLC and there they advertise different density of balsa wood for different application, this may not apply to the the bass guys, but for the musky guys you may want to look in to it. when ordering your blocks of wood you will see the price, than at the very bottom you add a note to what density you like than you will see a final invoice that will reflect the additional cost, a little confusing but it is understandable once you order the first time, I ordered the heavy and was 40% more, they have 5 different density and there is an explanation to each density

Here is the link          https://www.specializedbalsa.com/

Gino

I've never seen balsa that heavy sold, is there reason you went with balsa rather than basswood? Used to carve decoys and I'd get my stuff from a place in Menominee Falls WI. At that time it was air dried and $1.25 a board foot! Bet those prices have changed.

bill

That's where I get my balsa Gino. As you say it can be a little confusing when trying to figure up a final cost, but they send an itemized invoice for your final approval before the order is filled. I've had nothing but good service from them and they fill/ship your order quickly after your final approval.

Ben

​Hello scrubs

​There are lots of muskie baits made from balsa wood but mostly twitch type of baits, on the LOTW we use lots of Crane baits and catch lot's of muskies, you do have to reinforce the bait with propionate or epoxy and install a wire in the belie of the bait. Reason for using balsa bait is due to has the best action for the twitch baits, outside twitch baits I use a all bunch of different woods depending on the application or type of bait, hope this helps

Ben nice to know that they have good service, the lady I talked to was really helpful

Gino

The first batch of balsa I bought was 6lb "competition balsa". It made VERY buoyant baits but was also very soft and required lots of reinforcement to make it durable. When I eventually ran out, I bought 12lb balsa which is the mean average of balsa density, which runs from 6 to 18 lbs per cubic foot. It's still pretty soft wood. When I want to use a wood that has 18lbs/cu ft density, I like to use paulownia instead of heavy balsa because for the same density, it is much harder and doesn't require special reinforcement.

The first batch of balsa I bought was 6lb "competition balsa". It made VERY buoyant baits but was also very soft and required lots of reinforcement to make it durable. When I eventually ran out, I bought 12lb balsa which is the mean average of balsa density, which runs from 6 to 18 lbs per cubic foot. It's still pretty soft wood. When I want to use a wood that has 18lbs/cu ft density, I like to use paulownia instead of heavy balsa because for the same density, it is much harder and doesn't require special reinforcement.

You should give the folks at the link Gino provided a look Bob. They have their balsa broken down into a much narrower weight range that what you stated. You of course pay a higher price for hand picked balsa.

Ben

• Extra Light Balsa at (6 or less pounds per cubic foot) is 100% extra.
  • Light Balsa at (6-10 pounds per cubic foot) is 40% extra.
  • Medium Balsa at (10-14 pounds per cubic foot) is 40% extra.
  • Heavy Balsa at (14-19 pounds per cubic foot) is 40% extra.
  • Extra Heavy Balsa at (19+ pounds per cubic foot) is 100% extra.

Perfect timing.  I just posted a comment asking where to get wood for lure bodies...Thanks Gino!

One thing to keep in mind when ordering wood for lures is to order it in a size that keeps the waste to a minimum. For most of the baits I build a 3" wide board allows me to lay out 2 baits on the 3" width and keep enough clearance between them that cutting them out isn't an issue while still keeping waste down.

Ben

• Like 2

Specialized Balsa is where I bought my last batch, Ben. Some guys are probably saying to themselves "why would I want to pay a 40-100% premium for hand selected density?" To each his own and I'm as cheap as anyone, but my opinion is that the cost of the raw materials for a crankbait is so cheap on a per bait basis that it's well worth the modest added expense. The REAL cost of a crankbait is all the work and time you put into crafting it. $50 of hand selected balsa will probably last me 5 years as a hobby builder. Little more than the cost of one meal at McDonalds, per year.

I mostly use balsa for fat shallow square bills so I order the 3" wide 1" thick boards too in order to minimize waste.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 2

I agree completely Bob. As you say the extra cost of hand picked balsa on a per bait basis is ridiculously cheap and you know what your getting within a specific range. Buying balsa at hobby shops can be a crap shoot from one board to the next and will require more steps to strengthen the lure as well since hobby shops usually sell the lightweight balsa used in building model airplanes.

Ben

• Like 1

I agree completely Bob. As you say the extra cost of hand picked balsa on a per bait basis is ridiculously cheap and you know what your getting within a specific range. Buying balsa at hobby shops can be a crap shoot from one board to the next and will require more steps to strengthen the lure as well since hobby shops usually sell the lightweight balsa used in building model airplanes.

Ben

As I am finding out!