Jon P.

Screw Eyes Vs Wire-Through

Oh heck it happens, bad week for me all the way around. Including fishing.......so I guess we move on.

I believe like Travis stated to me and I will add a little bit more in, we all mean well and try so hard to design, create and have a product that delivers what each of us want or try to give to others. We get told how, we take the trial and error route or we check each step.

I was told never till the ground twice, didn't have anybody to show me how, so I went the later. Now working as hard as I can to build on what I know from you people. I always believe you can learn from good and even the worst events. So......

Let's move on,

Dale

• Like 1

If you expect your lures to fall apart then yes, through wire is going to bring the fish home.

What is your experience fishing for these monsters, have your lures disintegrated?

Personally, I have never made a lure with a screw eye. All my lures are made with home made barrel twisted eyes. I have never had an eye failure, or a failure of any kind, catching aggressive fish up to 12Lb.

If your wood is strong enough, with an eye penetration of 25mm (1") I would not anticipate any problems.

Dave

• Like 1

Few years ago i screwed up a bait and decided to use it to test the limits of twisted/epoxied eyes by hanging it in a tree by a clothes hanger on one end and dangling a 30 lb dumbbell on the other...... the eyes were distorted and ovalized probably beyond repair, but they never pulled out

Edited by JRammit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JRammit said:

Few years ago i screwed up a bait and decided to use it to test the limits of twisted/epoxied eyes by hanging it in a tree by a clothes hanger on one end and dangling a 30 lb dumbbell on the other...... the eyes were distorted and ovalized probably beyond repair, but they never pulled out

I think there is a big difference between a hanging (static?) weight, and a moving (dynamic?) weight, like a fish thrashing and trying get that hook out of it's mouth.  I think the thrashing fish generates a lot more load.  But, having said that, I still use runny super glue to reinforce the wood around my screw eyes in balsa baits, and I haven't had one fail yet.  Of course, this will be the kiss of death, and I'll lose a good fish next time out when the screw eye pulls out!  Hahaha

• Like 1

It's kind of funny, I grew up as a generalist fishing multiple species and techniques with only one rod, whereas a buddy of mine got into fishing as a dedicated bass fisherman... Let me tell you, we set the hook quite differently!

That being said, I'm glad to read so many guys using super-glue and twist eyes, as that's what I've been doing.  I haven't been able to test them on fish yet (and now that it's time for ice and snow, probably won't get to for another couple months), so it's been something I've been a bit worried about.

Thanks for all the good info and ideas!