Will Wetline

Flies For Steelhead

I'm prepping for my annual trip to New York's Salmon River and thought I'd put up some pics of my fly boxes.

c4a7f4da-ef17-463d-b557-e1d0cce81719_zps

Left - Right, Top - Bottom:

Blood Dots, Glo Bugs, tailed Estaz flies, sucker spawn

All are tied on size 10, 2x strong hooks.

29a0f39e-4a4b-4108-be93-12ce26491555_zps

Frammuses, tailed Estaz flies, Crystal Meth, Bear's Crystal Egg, Steelhead Candy

d2f4b722-0e19-4a2b-8a44-8081d66ee60b_zps

Here's an assortment of Woolly Buggers, Wooly Worms and a few generic nymphs and stone flies.

285938c4-3849-4b08-b802-f4b46b083fb3_zps

These Buggers are tied on a size 6, 3X long hook, 2X strong, of course, for steelhead. These I present "down and across," swinging above bottom with the current. The egg patterns in the first two pics are bounced along the bottom. (Also called "dead drifting.")

If I had to choose one pattern among the many it would be . . . The Frammus. I scaled this down from the original which was designed for king salmon. It's simple to tie - which is important because quite a few are lost to the rocks - and it's very effective.

caae313e-a6b2-4e35-af08-47c68e24914a_zps

6 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Have you ever tried some of the large intruder and streamer patterns commonly used on the west coast?

I have not used traditional west coast patterns. I think a majority of steelheaders that fish this river that drains into Lake Ontario fish egg pattern flies and nymphs.

I have had success with the size 6 white bugger shown in the photo above. Here's one steelhead that liked it:

fcdd080e-8650-4e2e-ba9b-f76f2b4fdd96_zps

53 minutes ago, Will Wetline said:

I have not used traditional west coast patterns. I think a majority of steelheaders that fish this river that drains into Lake Ontario fish egg pattern flies and nymphs.

I have had success with the size 6 white bugger shown in the photo above. Here's one steelhead that liked it:

fcdd080e-8650-4e2e-ba9b-f76f2b4fdd96_zps

Out west we use all those patterns and more intruder patterns are a common go to in the west

wolly buggers white, black, purple, pink, and blue for colours are go to steelhead patterns

My streamers are my own creations marabou and rabbit strip based with lots of movement and flash. Tinsel flies like Christmas trees are another