surfk9

Adhering Mesh To Lure Bodies

I don't like to use 3M type industrial adhesive for applying mest or foil.  I prefer to use Devcon 2Ton Epoxy instead and find it to be much more secure.  I mix up a small amount of D2T and apply it to my lure with the tip of my finger.  I use a finger cot (a very thin latex glove for end of your finger only).   Just get a very small amount of D2t on your finger and rub it on the lure where you want to apply the mesh or foil. This way you can apply it in a very thin layer.  You may want to allow the D2T to start curing until it is very stiff or tacky, then apply your mesh or foil.  Depending on the application, you may have to do one side of the lure at a time.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies...iv'e  been using this product for many years without any negative issues to my lures...just messy sticky...i only use it for the mesh

my foil is a brite back self adhesive of which iv'e not had issues either....using D2T could be an option for me...seems as though its more time consuming

Barry do you use 30 minute or 5 minute D2T??

I use 30 minute but 5 min would be fine.  I find that 30 minute starts thickening in about 10 minutes and holds the mesh well.  If I am doing foil, or even better, foil over mesh, then I lay down the mesh then put foil over the mesh for a nice built in scale pattern.  Doing one side at a time, i generally lay the bait down on my shop floor carpet or pad, cover it with clear kitchen wrap, put a piece of foam over it and set my tool box on it.  That dries with the aluminum foil taking on the mesh pattern and gives it a scale pattern.  The clear kitchen wrap comes back off, I just put it over in case a small crack appears in the foil and lets some epoxy out.  Also the clear wrap will allow you to work on the other side while the epoxy is mostly cured but still a little sticky.

• Like 1

I use 30 minute but 5 min would be fine.  I find that 30 minute starts thickening in about 10 minutes and holds the mesh well.  If I am doing foil, or even better, foil over mesh, then I lay down the mesh then put foil over the mesh for a nice built in scale pattern.  Doing one side at a time, i generally lay the bait down on my shop floor carpet or pad, cover it with clear kitchen wrap, put a piece of foam over it and set my tool box on it.  That dries with the aluminum foil taking on the mesh pattern and gives it a scale pattern.  The clear kitchen wrap comes back off, I just put it over in case a small crack appears in the foil and lets some epoxy out.  Also the clear wrap will allow you to work on the other side while the epoxy is mostly cured but still a little sticky.

I use the Elmers spray adhesive. It's less tacky than 3m, and much cheaper too.

I tend to spray a light mist on, then can use the mesh about a minute later (allow it to no longer be wet, but tacky still). 

I tend to get about 2 applications before needing to start the respray process over. After a certain amount of use, I pitch the mesh material and start with a new piece.