Bruiserbeagle

Favorite Ring Swimbait Mold?

I have the Enforcer 4" swimbait. It sorta has rings. It shoots great and has phenomenal swimming action. I have the 4 .cavity top inject model so I can make laminates and it suits my needs well.

Just as a general question what's the big deal about the rings anyhow? I know that ringed swimbaits are all the craze right now but I don't see a distinct advantage in using them v.s. a more solid bodied bait. I'm guessing it's more of a confidence thing??

I have the Enforcer 4" swimbait. It sorta has rings. It shoots great and has phenomenal swimming action. I have the 4 .cavity top inject model so I can make laminates and it suits my needs well.

Just as a general question what's the big deal about the rings anyhow? I know that ringed swimbaits are all the craze right now but I don't see a distinct advantage in using them v.s. a more solid bodied bait. I'm guessing it's more of a confidence thing??

I will tell you one thing about the ringed ones, they sell! Have been making thousands of these for years now. Ever since the a-rig came out it has been a great seller. Not for just the a-rig but singles. Have the smooth ones to but no one I sell to wants or even asks for those. These molds from Basstackle are great swimmers and will be good sellers for a long time to come. They have sizes from 1.5-7.5". Get the top inject if you will be laminating.
  • Like 1

I think the rings create more turbulence, so the bait has a larger water displacement for it's actual size.  The turbulence may also affect the tail's action, too, but all of this is just a guess based on stuff I've tried.

Mark i think your dead on the money with your answer. But i don't think it affects tail action. I have tested the bait in the swimming pool and it still has a lot of action. Remember when they came out with the zipper worm..i think they were the first to make this style...but not sure about that. But one thing i can say about the zipper worm...is i have caught a bunch of fish on them and still use them today. Back a few years ago..... well maybe it was long than just a few but my son and i was going to fish a tourney together and i pre fished the day before. I don't know how many fish i shook off that day but it was a bunch. The next morning we started throwing buzz baits and had a limit in know time...but when the sun got up we started pitching the zipper worm and i caught a 6lb 15oz about half a hour later in a tree top that i shook a fish off the day before. Before the day was over we had culled everything but the big fish. We came in second in the tourney and had big fish...The team that won we got a chance to talk to them before we left can come to find out they were fishing a zipper worm too. I think it's a great bait and i like to fish baits with those rings on them....Sorry everyone for the rant.....Don't get me talking about fishing...cause i love it....LOL :yeah:

• Like 1

Mark i think your dead on the money with your answer. But i don't think it affects tail action.

A good swim-bait has excellent tail action on the drop ,slow reeling action across the bottom and will not roll over(central balance). A thick body entering the tail section will reduce tail action.IMO & experience- oval rings on a swim-bait do nothing to enhance the bite. Swim-baits are reaction and site feeding baits .Have we forgotten the Slugo,stick worms and Brewer slider worms that have caught boat loads of bass w/ a gliding action?

Edited for spelling

Edited by smallmouthaholic
  • Like 1

I love to fish with the Keitech Swing Impact Fat and looking at the bibliography found on the web the meanings of Japanese Engineers about rings should be:

• to trap air that can be released during the falling;
  • to fuzzy the shape during the swimming action;
  • to move more water during the swimming action (as already said by Mark);
  • to hold better the hook edge giving a weedless effect;
  • finally to give a munching textile to fish mouth.

I really do not know if all these characteristics are really achived, but I know that I am really enjoying myself when I use this 3,8" bait, injected by me with Ukrainen Baitmold mold (16.20 $). Moreover there are not the two slots and perhaps it gains in durability.

Bye

Cami

• Like 2