Apdriver

Inline Spinner Options/opinions

A friend of mine requested some inline spinners and provided a sample bait which is a Panther Martin in #6. Simple little spinner he uses in his guide business for cutthroat. It has an inline spinner blade and I have never used these. I always use a clevis and Indiana or French blade on my inlines. He runs guide trips on a river and fishes relatively swift current. I know this has significance.

My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of the inline over the other spinner blades? Also, for the guys that use inlines a lot, which do you prefer?

Apdriver, I use them on almost all my Trout size spinners, 1/16oz and 1/8oz. One of the distinct advantages of the in-line blade is the sound, well at least that is what Panther Martin use to claim but there is something to it. The other thing I noticed is the flash, they spin different, it is almost like a wobble and it produces a flickering type flash that isn't as bright as other blades but it is faster.

Apdriver, believe it or not, I didn't need to small loop kit for the Hagen's. Now it might have been a little nicer with the smaller loop but it really isn't bad and they have really caught fish, me and my Grandson were killing Brook Trout and Rainbows while other guys just watched as they weren't getting bites on live bait as well as powerbait or other types of spinners.

Just looking at the number 6 size PM in hand, it is a really small bait with small loops. If it was for me, it wouldn't matter, for sure. I just looked at Hagens and the small loop kit is only 25.-. Just thought I might throw it in with an order. You know how us tacklecrafters are.:-) Smalljaw, you mind throwing up a pic of your spinner or email me one?

I have some experience with inline spinners, the inlines are a pretty good bet! If you play with different versions..... small to large blades will track well wether burning or slow rolling them. you have to take the fishing conditions into account ( current, depth, type of fish, and so on ) one thing is for sure inline spinners can be fished fast or slow. I have problems trying to slow down a spinner with a clevis and then trying to start the blade again, with the inline spinner you can bring it almost to a crawl before the blade stops and restarts very easy. btw the pm 6 size I believe is a #4 blade if you going to make it exactly the same. 

• Like 1

Thanks Azsouth and welcome to TU! The #4 inline blade is what I sized that # 6 Panther Martin. I also weighed the bait on my digital reloading scale in grams. With a little high school math, I came up with the total weight of 1/4 ounce on the #6. Once I destructed the bait, the lure body weighed in at .1432 ounces. Hook was a number 8 treble. J. Barlow received a nice order last night:-)

• Like 1

thank you Apdriver you can really fine tune what you want the bait to do with larger blade or play with the weight. I have made a couple of hundred of them( pm knock-off ) and tested everyone from .18 to .5 oz.

the heavier the weight the faster the retrieve has to be.

I have also found that two beads instead of one makes a huge difference.

The inline  or sonic blade design while turning on the lure shaft rather than clevis mount blades  start very smoothly. The light refraction ie flash is enhanced do to the unique concave design which disperses the light in so many directions while it rotates. Coupled with the sonic vibration from the enhanced water displacement, again do to the shape and tight spin radius makes these blades very effective. I have thrown a lot of #28 size which is a 5/8 oz for pike and muskie  for years with great success. I have also caught large bass while using them. Point to note: the blade requires a solid brass bead to spin on , hollow beads do wear out easier and with use so I like solid beads. Normally the spinner body is weighted  either lead  or brass. which adds to casting range and depth of water easily fished. With the old school pm lures which had lead tapered bodies with a lot of casting the bead and blade actually disfigure the front tapper portion of the lead body and have to be filed or reworked to keep alignment and the look of the lure nice.  I have had to re wire baits from wear use and bead failure so they are very durable I have used glass beads behind the brass bearing bead which the blade rubs against   to get a clicking sound while varying the retrieve speed to add an extra dimension the the presentation. Dressed or undressed  trebles work well and the total lure length can be shortened to allow the blade tip  to run just forward of the hook points without to much fouling of hook and dressing. The angle which the blade tracks the center shaft is very consistent and dose not really change with a faster or slower retrieve. Yes you can slow roll the blades but once started it is fairly predictable. Hope this info and experience helps. I love the sonic blades. Cheers

• Like 2

Been making them since the late 70's and still do - I'll try any type of blade and I've gotten some nice old blades on ebay.

I too have found a glass bead really helps on them.  I use the old Netcraft wire former, but also have a handheld worth and I just got a Dubro tool that I haven't played with yet

100_7150.jpg

I've been messing around for a couple weeks making a few inlines.  #1 or #2 mepps are my top producers for both smallies and trout.   I've trying out different combinations and I'm right between 1/8 oz and 1/6 oz so pretty happy with that.  Just testing out in home #2 Colorado blades seem to spin best for me, yet to try it on river.  Have a few #1 and #2 in Colorado and Indiana to see which works best.   Most of my beads have been hobby lobby also made a few with bullet weights. Just trying to get better at making my end loop.

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

On February 9, 2017 at 6:15 AM, MIkayakangler said:

I've been messing around for a couple weeks making a few inlines.  #1 or #2 mepps are my top producers for both smallies and trout.   I've trying out different combinations and I'm right between 1/8 oz and 1/6 oz so pretty happy with that.  Just testing out in home #2 Colorado blades seem to spin best for me, yet to try it on river.  Have a few #1 and #2 in Colorado and Indiana to see which works best.   Most of my beads have been hobby lobby also made a few with bullet weights. Just trying to get better at making my end loop.

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Looks gorges ! For me.  Now main question: how it is attractive for fish in the field test.