bassrecord

Bass Pro Buys Cabelas

Makes no difference to me one way or the other.. I rarely shop either.. if I do its only cause I'm in a hurry and need something I cant get from, dicks, gander mountan, academy, sportsmans warehouse, local tackle shops or walmart lol.. lots of choices locally besides those two.. Id rather just sit in my underwear and order from anywhere in the world than fool with retail at all ..  I make 90% of what I fish with . be it cranks, jigs, spinnerbaits, plastics, etc .. why buy it when you can make it and make it better.
The only thing I tend to buy retail is rods, because the shipping is so high for 7ft plus rods 

Doesn't effect tackle making in any way.

BPS just increased market share but don't think anything will shut down.  Don't see it effecting anything to be honest seams most are either BPS or Cabela's people.  They really sort of attract different people on different levels.  Cabela's is really entrenched in different area and will continue to be so.

Always thought of Bass Pro Shop as the "Southern sportsman" store and Cabela's as the "Northern sportsman" store.   Bass Pro Shops= bass/catfish/panfish,  white tail/turkey/etc, and water sports.    Cabelas= walleye/muskie, mule deer/ bear/ moose/pheasant, and ice/water activities.  

Line of intermingled area with both stores but BPS isn't appealing as you move North and Cabela's isn't appealing as you move South (generalization).  Look at the demographics they target.   Say a Nascar/Duck Dynasty fan where are they more likely to shop?   Prior they both carved out a very specific customer base.  They will retain the same but the money just goes to one source now.  They will keep them as separate as possible until market changes enough due to bigger changes (less anglers/hunters or other competition).

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2

I end up buying stuff from Cabela's but only because of my Cabela's Visa.  So use the points to buy stuff and usually when they run it on sale clearance.  Also get boots, jackets, etc.. as  hard to beat the price/quality even more so when on sale.  Typically buy in 100 buck increments to use the save 20 on your next 100 purchase coupon I get about every 2 months..

My Cabela's Gortex rain jacket was 39 bucks, 99 bucks for the 10 inch Gortex leather insulated boots, etc... Several of the Cabelas clothes I bought have also been overall good buys.    

Definitely neither are places I would go into and buy something because I needed it then but don't get into that situation often.  I buy when price is right sort of stuff.    Have a Cabelas about 1 hr from me and never have been..BPS 1.5 hrs and been once as we stayed the night near it.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

We have both in the surrounding areas of my town. I always thought that the two stores were to close. But each are in good enough areas that they have a chance. There is another local store that is giving them a fit being a home grown business. People here are loyal to this local business, this includes me for certain products.

Dale

While some crossover between demographics REI and Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's I don't see them being much of a competitor.   They are very different consumer base and one that typically is completely opposed to hunting and fishing. A REI customer  more likely to be looking to buy some gear to pack into the Subaru for the weekend trip to Joshua Tree for some bonding over a few craft beers while discussing how we need to be much more progressive in this country.  

Most I know that are Cabelas/BPS customers would not shop at REI based on principal as they are typically viewed as anti gun, anti hunting, and anti fishing.