joelhains

Quality Blanks

I'm looking to get into painting cranks. I have a cart loaded with Shelts but I haven't checked put yet. Before I place the order I'm curious about the quality of blanks you get from them? Are there other suppliers that are better to deal with? I'm looking to get some Vision 110 KO blanks, dt10 KO blanks and the spro little john KO blanks.

Thanks

Thanks Terry.

I've been reading all over trying to find quality blanks. From what I've gathered, most are manufactured China and sold by middlemen who all buy from the same limited number of manufacturers. But I'm consistently reading that the venders who are selling what look to be the same blanks for more money are better quality. Not sure how this can be the case if there such a limited number of manufactures. I'm reading a lot and getting more confused the more I read lol!

There are a few of us in the States that do research and only purchase high quality baits. You will see a post I put in the Blank Crankbait Body Links that is pinned to the top of the forum page. It should be on one of the last pages of that forum. Those are the things that most of us check for in suppliers. Certain suppliers make inconsistent blanks due to poor quality control because they want quantity over quality. I don't particularly like to bash any companies that sell blanks, but in this case... You get what you pay for. I would stick with American suppliers such as Dinger, Get Bit, Predator, Dakota, and Unpainted Lures.

• Like 4

I'm looking to get into painting cranks. I have a cart loaded with Shelts but I haven't checked put yet. Before I place the order I'm curious about the quality of blanks you get from them? Are there other suppliers that are better to deal with? I'm looking to get some Vision 110 KO blanks, dt10 KO blanks and the spro little john KO blanks.

Thanks

On page two under the Hardbaits forum, there is a 5 page thread on Shelts baits. Ya get whatcha pay for!

• Like 1

I've ordered blanks from quite a few sources over the years and suggest you make a small order from any source before you go "all in" and order in bulk for any particular blank. I find knockoff blanks are usually a hit or miss proposition as far as home the perform, depending on a lot of factors that are hard for suppliers to control. One thing I've found is that a knockoff bait is almost never the same as the commercial bait it copies. Sometimes it's better, sometimes worse. You need to test it on the water to find out. If you think you'll get a Megabass Ito 110 copy for 4 bucks that works just like the $25 original, you are deluded. The copy may look right externally and may be a good bait in its own right, but it ain't a Megabass and won't fish the same. Some sources, like Predator, have taken the trouble to special order a bait like the Wiggle Wart and have worked with the Asian factory to ensure the bait is high quality and performs well. Others have baits that perform very well too. But it can be hit or miss and if you care about the customers you will sell the baits to, or even just your own fishing success, you have to do your due diligence and test them for yourself. JMHO

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys! I guess i'll order a few from several suppliers and try to compare quality. Most of what's do is for personal use. I do sell a few baits to my buddies and others who know I make lures but I don't actively look for customers. I want anything that I put time into to be worth fishing. I don't want to spend a bunch of time sanding and painting a crank only to have it bust in half the first time I cast it into a tree! Or take on water or have hook hangers pull loose on a quality fish.

One thing I will say about many of the websites I've looked at is they aren't very user friendly to mobile users. Maybe if I did most of my work on a desktop the site would look different and more info would show up. But I use my phone for almost everything and the websites of crankbait suppliers haven't impressed me much. Unpainted blanks are difficult to identify. You can make out the basic shape but details are hard to see. I think they should post better descriptions of what they are trying to sell. Specifically if a blank is a copy or knock off of a well know lure put something in the description that indicates so. Some do this with a few of theirs blanks. Some are easy to distinguish but many ore not. Just my .02

I've purchased from Predator, GetBit and Dinger and would recommend all three for the following reasons:

1. Quality blanks

2. Fast shipping

3. Responsiveness to product questions

I use an iPad and I haven't had any issues with any of these vendors websites, especially related to product info and viewing the lures. I know kids use their phones for everything these days, but checking out lure blanks, I got view them on something bigger.

Also, I buy from all three because none of them carry all the blanks I use or want. As others have recommended, buy a few at first and don't be afraid to ask them questions before you buy. I'm pretty sure they all want you to be a satisfied customer and purchase many more of their products.

David

Guys, I have read alot on this forum and one thing that gets me is the word quality. What is a quality blank?

Being new to the hobby myself, I have ordered blanks from 5 different companies over the past 6 months, including Shelts.

Out of 300 baits ive gotten from them only 1 has leaked. I've put the all under water. Of the ones I've fished or my son has fished, everyone (limited sample of 15 or so) has run true without the need for tuning. Over 4 orders, i received everyone in less than 12 days to the U.S. After the initial order, they sent the next 3 orders with free samples. And they have answered a couple emails rather quickly. The only blanks that in my batch maybe was an issue is the panfish swimbait. Edges around the dorsal fin needed touched with sand paper.

Other company baits, I have purchase about 200 baits and 3 have been what I would not consider a good blank. 1 leaked, and 2 had grooves in the sides.

I am not praising shelts or any other company. Nor will I bash anyone. Even if i feel the need because my experience with a company may be a single good or a single bad experience.

So the question begs, what is a qaulity blank?

Super Ron - think the link below to another post helps answer part of your question related to quality.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/28966-blank-crankbait-body-links/page-4#entry261491

Things that I value when assessing quality include:

Durability - does the lure break under normal use more frequently than expected

How well the lure swims - I've run into issues with ones I've ordered directly from China. I like buying from vendors that have tested and provide detailed info about the lure with different topcoats, split rings, etc.

Prep worked needed - how much prep work is required prior to painting; less is more

Blemishes - they just piss me off

These are just my opinions though and others I'm sure have different experiences points of view.

David

Guys, I have read alot on this forum and one thing that gets me is the word quality. What is a quality blank?

Being new to the hobby myself, I have ordered blanks from 5 different companies over the past 6 months, including Shelts.

Out of 300 baits ive gotten from them only 1 has leaked. I've put the all under water. Of the ones I've fished or my son has fished, everyone (limited sample of 15 or so) has run true without the need for tuning. Over 4 orders, i received everyone in less than 12 days to the U.S. After the initial order, they sent the next 3 orders with free samples. And they have answered a couple emails rather quickly. The only blanks that in my batch maybe was an issue is the panfish swimbait. Edges around the dorsal fin needed touched with sand paper.

Other company baits, I have purchase about 200 baits and 3 have been what I would not consider a good blank. 1 leaked, and 2 had grooves in the sides.

I am not praisinRontelts or any other company. Nor will I bash anyone. Even if i feel the need because my experience with a company may be a single good or a single bad experience.

Good post Ron thank you! Quality means different things to different people. Your definition and mine seem to be very similar. One thing I would add is consistency between blanks. I haven't ordered from any of these mentioned vendors yet so I have no idea what to expect from them. But having blanks that are the same model should all behave and swim the same. I would imaging a manufacturer with poor quality control would have a hard time achieving consistency.

Ive ordered from shelts a few times, always got good product.. I cant speak for everyone .. but the stuff I have ordered has been good quality .. I make more crankbaits than I buy , balsa and cedar.. and recently started making large swim baits.. Im not looking for quantities to resale in plastics , just some for my self and a few friends. 

Ive also ordered from several us sellers that buy from China .. found a few on facebook forums selling certain plastic cranks.. those have been top notch.

I am not praising shelts or any other company. Nor will I bash anyone. Even if i feel the need because my experience with a company may be a single good or a single bad experience.

Check the last few posts (page 4) on the "blank crankbait body" link. Excellent posts there.

In the USA, manufacturers vary in quality and consistency. The same is true in China. Some have excellent quality control, and will produce exactly what the customer wants. Others have virtually no quality control, and punch out quantity on a budget. Some diligent folks in the USA have done their homework for the rest of us. They have put together a collection of quality lure blanks. Often they pay to have special molds made to get exactly what we want. They require higher standards from the manufacturers, and get better results. It seems to me that $2 vs $.70 is a small price to pay.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the input guys! I guess i'll order a few from several suppliers and try to compare quality. Most of what's do is for personal use. I do sell a few baits to my buddies and others who know I make lures but I don't actively look for customers. I want anything that I put time into to be worth fishing. I don't want to spend a bunch of time sanding and painting a crank only to have it bust in half the first time I cast it into a tree! Or take on water or have hook hangers pull loose on a quality fish.

One thing I will say about many of the websites I've looked at is they aren't very user friendly to mobile users. Maybe if I did most of my work on a desktop the site would look different and more info would show up. But I use my phone for almost everything and the websites of crankbait suppliers haven't impressed me much. Unpainted blanks are difficult to identify. You can make out the basic shape but details are hard to see. I think they should post better descriptions of what they are trying to sell. Specifically if a blank is a copy or knock off of a well know lure put something in the description that indicates so. Some do this with a few of theirs blanks. Some are easy to distinguish but many ore not. Just my .02

I definitely agree i do believe that they should identify every lure with a name and or item #code should be considered between the top blank companies

• Like 1

Every individual seems to a different idea of what quality is so ideally your best option is to look to different suppliers and find what works best for you.   You're going to pay more buying from Dinger and Predator but in comparison to baits purchased from shelts you will definitely see where the extra dollars were spent.  Shelts baits will swim but the plastic and internal components are cheaper.  

If you're used to fishing high end baits, then your probably not gonna like the quality of shelts lures.  If you like buying lures from a 2.99 bin then I don't see it being an issue.  

It's all about choices and what suits your needs.....My choice is the highest quality blanks I can find available right here from US Vendors because I paint, sell them and don't want any coming back...Others have different needs/priorities
   I just pay the US vendors the $2 or there about because:

1. I know exactly what I will be getting. (learned this from trial and error the past 6 years) Most vendors have been "stuck" and/or ripped off for thousands of dollars during their trial and error process of finding reputable overseas distributors. 

2. I know I will be getting my order in a matter of days.

3. I don't have to worry about prep work or tuning. 

4. The product is consistent

5. There is so much info on this site in every aspect of tackle making (use the damn search engine :) ) where every answer anyone might have is already here. With that being said...there are no victims, only volunteers and you get what you pay for....I should have that put on my tombstone! LOL

• Like 4

It's all about choices and what suits your needs.....My choice is the highest quality blanks I can find available right here from US Vendors because I paint, sell them and don't want any coming back...Others have different needs/priorities

I just pay the US vendors the $2 or there about because:

1. I know exactly what I will be getting. (learned this from trial and error the past 6 years) Most vendors have been "stuck" and/or ripped off for thousands of dollars during their trial and error process of finding reputable overseas distributors. 

2. I know I will be getting my order in a matter of days.

3. I don't have to worry about prep work or tuning. 

4. The product is consistent

5. There is so much info on this site in every aspect of tackle making (use the damn search engine :) ) where every answer anyone might have is already here. With that being said...there are no victims, only volunteers and you get what you pay for....I should have that put on my tombstone! LOL

Richard, just don't volunteer too soon!

• Like 1