Gab_Mercier

Clear Coat

Hi !

I've been making wooden fishing lure for a couple years now and I've been using 2 part epoxy (nu lustre 55) .I bought quite a lot of plastic crankbait I got a deal on and I was hoping to paint but they have really sharp edges, curves, and detail that just aren't working with epoxy, I was just wondering if any of you use a thin clear coat that you just have to dip the lure ?

I've heard of KBS diamond finish ? could I just dip it or would I have to mix it with something and then brush it ?

Thanks

KBS is thin as water when fresh, and can be used without thinning. Over time it thickens....mine was aprox a year old before I felt the need to thin....I dip. If i was spraying it, I would have thinned sooner. The main thing to remember is if you get any pooling, be sure and remove drip/pool before drying or you will have bubbles in it when it dries.....just grab the drip with a paint brush a few minutes after dipping and you should be good...another thing to remember is do not use a turner like you would with envirotex or you will get bubbles.

Just my opinion hope it helps.

• Like 1

I put a piece of press and seal(plastic wrap) between the jar and the lid, this prevents the lid from getting stuck to the jar. Also I will usually push some of the plastic wrap down in the jar to displace some of the open space when the jar starts getting low.

Not sure that makes sense....picture a square piece of plastic wrap...set it centered on jar...push center down until just before it hits the liquid...fold plastic down jar...now put lid on and tighten. Hope that makes sense. 

The quart I got has last over a year now.

• Like 1

I put a piece of press and seal(plastic wrap) between the jar and the lid, this prevents the lid from getting stuck to the jar. Also I will usually push some of the plastic wrap down in the jar to displace some of the open space when the jar starts getting low.

Not sure that makes sense....picture a square piece of plastic wrap...set it centered on jar...push center down until just before it hits the liquid...fold plastic down jar...now put lid on and tighten. Hope that makes sense.

The quart I got has last over a year now.

How many baits have you done ruffly and do any of you guys spray bloxegen when you store the KBS...?

KBS is extremely simple to use. You literally just dip it and let it hang. Also hang a piece of a paper clip or thin wire off of the back hook eyelet to let the excess clear coat drip off. I'm starting to go away from KBS though. It doesn't hold up to bouncing off of rocks worth a damn. I've had a few baits start to chip after a few bass.

KBS is extremely simple to use. You literally just dip it and let it hang. Also hang a piece of a paper clip or thin wire off of the back hook eyelet to let the excess clear coat drip off. I'm starting to go away from KBS though. It doesn't hold up to bouncing off of rocks worth a damn. I've had a few baits start to chip after a few bass.

How long ago did you do the baits that are chipping? Also by hanging by the back eyelet ensures the lips are coated

what are you thinking about using ?

• Like 1

How long ago did you do the baits that are chipping? Also by hanging by the back eyelet ensures the lips are coated

Some of my most recent ones have chipped. I fish very aggressively so I'm always banging my lures off of rocks so that doesn't help it's just the kbs doesn't seem to be fit for the abuse I put my lures for. I want a thicker coat on my lures. I don't full with the bills either the fish don't seem to mind cloudy bills.

• Like 1

what are you thinking about using ?

Here this past week I've done a couple batches of lures using etex. So far I like what I see but I'll put them through my torture test tomorrow on the lake. They are drawing the lake down for the winter so there will be a ton of rocks to bounce them off of lol

• Like 1

Some of my most recent ones have chipped. I fish very aggressively so I'm always banging my lures off of rocks so that doesn't help it's just the kbs doesn't seem to be fit for the abuse I put my lures for. I want a thicker coat on my lures. I don't full with the bills either the fish don't seem to mind cloudy bills.

So with that being said I started out with using a clear coat for bar tops... which was pretty thick compared to this stuff had to use a drying wheel to set and cure it the only thing it seemed to take forever for to cure!!

From what I have read so far! It seems alot like art resins I have fished the Dog crap out of the shores of GrindStone lake 3'-4' depth an it has with held against over sixtie day 4-5 hours of abuse with walleye's,pike an bass hitting on it

The only thing is it I didn't know what I was doing on the top coats so I should brushed off the excess!!so had issue's around sharp edges

When I first got the notion to try and sell some of my painted baits, i realized that finding the right clear is a more difficult process than painting them. Prior to marketing my baits I used several automotive clears, in fact we cleared them in the paint booth at the body shop. Looked real good but a few encounter with the rocks made me look in other directions. I tried several epoxies and then followed the advise of a lot of bait artist and went with the Devcon 2T 30 minute epoxy. I used one coat, banged the rocks and had some issues still. Now I apply 2 heavy coats of D2T and my worries of cracked clear are all but gone. I am a small operation so I only mix for one bait at a time. Sometimes on the second coat I can get two baits. Call me old fashion but my worst nightmare is a customer calling saying the clear came off. Mine is definitely not coming off. FYI.

• Like 1

When I first got the notion to try and sell some of my painted baits, i realized that finding the right clear is a more difficult process than painting them. Prior to marketing my baits I used several automotive clears, in fact we cleared them in the paint booth at the body shop. Looked real good but a few encounter with the rocks made me look in other directions. I tried several epoxies and then followed the advise of a lot of bait artist and went with the Devcon 2T 30 minute epoxy. I used one coat, banged the rocks and had some issues still. Now I apply 2 heavy coats of D2T and my worries of cracked clear are all but gone. I am a small operation so I only mix for one bait at a time. Sometimes on the second coat I can get two baits. Call me old fashion but my worst nightmare is a customer calling saying the clear came off. Mine is definitely not coming off. FYI.

I like that cause mine should be here this Tuesday an I just got a bunch of lures and more on the way I was going to use the D2T for the swim baits and the kbs for my smaller baits

Thanks for your time an sharing what's worked for you

I haven't tried KBS yet but have done quite a few plastic lures using Dick Nite S81 Fishermun's Lurecoat, another moisture cured urethane brand. It's much harder to store than KBS and I assume that's because it contains different solvents. What I found is that it will actually soak into and through acrylic latex paint and form a monolithic finish that bonds very well to the plastic substrate. It's as durable as anything I've tried, and that includes most of the topcoats discussed here on TU. You can't really dip in it without the storage jar beginning to harden pretty quickly. I use the "tap the can" method of storage, decant as much as I need into a small container, then quickly flood coat the lures with a soft brush before hanging them up to dry and cure. That method works well for me. I can't say that it is superior to KBS since I haven't tried that one yet, but am just reporting my experience with Dick Nite. I still use Devcon 2 Ton on most wood baits since it is thicker and tends to cover up any minor surface imperfections. I also use Devcon on lures I use for trolling as I've found the thicker topcoat lasts longer than a thin coat of MCU when exposed to constant hook rash. Many musky lure builders prefer multiple coats of ETEX on their big lures and feel it is more durable and crack resistant than Devcon, especially in cold water. To me, Devcon is fine for bass baits and I sure like its shorter cure time and the fact that one coat is thick enough for my purposes.

• Like 2

I haven't tried KBS yet but have done quite a few plastic lures using Dick Nite S81 Fishermun's Lurecoat, another moisture cured urethane brand. It's much harder to store than KBS and I assume that's because it contains different solvents. What I found is that it will actually soak into and through acrylic latex paint and form a monolithic finish that bonds very well to the plastic substrate. It's as durable as anything I've tried, and that includes most of the topcoats discussed here on TU. You can't really dip in it without the storage jar beginning to harden pretty quickly. I use the "tap the can" method of storage, decant as much as I need into a small container, then quickly flood coat the lures with a soft brush before hanging them up to dry and cure. That method works well for me. I can't say that it is superior to KBS since I haven't tried that one yet, but am just reporting my experience with Dick Nite. I still use Devcon 2 Ton on most wood baits since it is thicker and tends to cover up any minor surface imperfections. I also use Devcon on lures I use for trolling as I've found the thicker topcoat lasts longer than a thin coat of MCU when exposed to constant hook rash. Many musky lure builders prefer multiple coats of ETEX on their big lures and feel it is more durable and crack resistant than Devcon, especially in cold water. To me, Devcon is fine for bass baits and I sure like its shorter cure time and the fact that one coat is thick enough for my purposes.

I'm going to assume ETEX is a two part? I like the KBS but I wish I would have used it more before thinning it down!..I have it at 70/30 which is way to much I'll have to do three different dips now super easy to use thou