dpalinsk

Kbs Diamond Clear Coat Aerosol Can Update

KBS released the KBS Diamond clearcoat in the aerosol can last week and I recieved my order on Wednesday. The reason I am trying this product is to see how well it works as the seal coat on wooden lures. I'm a home builder and have very little experience making wood lures. I buy kits from Salty's.

The appeal for the aerosol can product was the ability to easily spray on KBS for the seal coat rather brush it or something like Solarez on and then have sand out my screw ups and other imperfections.

So far, I like it. As expected, I can easily lay down smooth coats of KBS. The only issue I encountered was that I got some bubbles on two of the 12 coats that I sprayed. I'm not sure why, but in both case, it was on the first coat. I sprayed three coats on each lure and only sanded between coats on those that had bubbles. I waited about an hour between coats. They came out great! The coating was super clear and glossy and I think, adequately thick enough. After 24 hours, I sanded them with 150 and primers them with Wicked white opaque.

Here's some pics showing them in the three stages.

I'll follow up with additional info as work on these lures progresses.

David

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

post-35451-0-04154700-1477682273_thumb.jpg

post-35451-0-67236400-1477682306_thumb.jpg

post-35451-0-59400500-1477682324_thumb.jpg

post-35451-0-62010400-1477682340_thumb.jpg

Edited by dpalinsk
  • Like 1

They look nice, but why three coats? What is the recommended time to recoat after the first.coat and successive coats?

if spraying .. the first few coats are mainly just a sealer, and in many wood lures, sealers, such as kbs, epoxy etc .. raise the grain slightly.. balsa does it .. seal first .. then sand down any raised grain, and if needed additional coats to seal up any places you sanded through the sealer. 

I bought a can of this to use on my swimbaits, havent tried it yet. I got kind of wary about using it after reading the safety precautions on the label. I spray outside and use a respirator but dont have an air fed mask like what it calls for on the can. Guess I should of did a little more research before buying it. Found out it releases isocyanates when sprayed. I guess I'll just stick to brushing it on. Here's the link I read it if you're wondering. 

https://success.kbs-coatings.com/topic/1414-diamondfinish-isocyanate-release/

I haven't used auto clear so I can't comment on it, but my can of aerosol KBS that I was so happy with when I first used it, has crinkled several lures after sitting in the garage for a few months. I'm reluctant to use it anymore as it ruined a number of lures.  

• Like 1

I have used both KBS clear and matte on plastic crankbaits, pretty happy with results. I use 6 or 7 coats and try to spray coats 10 or 15 minutes apart, then let them dry for a few days. I spray light coats. I have had a couple of lures crinkle, I think it was because I added a coat after they had dried a couple of days, but not sure. It will fog up if sprayed outside when humid, I spray it inside in a booth I built using an inline 6 inch fan running into an activated charcoal filter used for indoor grow tents. It works really well.  I've fished with lures I cleared with KBS all summer and haven't noticed any yellowing or peeling.IMG_5150.thumb.JPG.128ba944ae2f4407a5e3aae4999dfbf3.JPG These are jerkbaits I cleared with KBS, the best thing about it is how easy it is to apply, time will tell how durable it is.

Edited by berrnie
fix spelling
  • Like 1

I have never used automotive clear coat, this stuff really goes on just about like any other aerosol clear coat. I have used a can over several weeks and can't tell any difference from full to empty. I have mostly used Devcon 2 ton epoxy on my lures, I have used others but always went back to D2T. I like KBS because there is no mixing or brushing, just spray it on. It does take several coats and I have found it takes several days to get a really hard finish, hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe what was told to me about dipping, two dips equals about D2T. Spraying, dunno. I really got to make booth. I would really like to spray, it would make it easier.

As far as jointed baits there a few things you can do. Rubber band around the hinge, BobP (I think) told me about a liquid frisket film. I couldn't find that around here, sooo..... I started thinking what could I use? I came up with White Out, used to cover up writing on paper. A little clean up will be needed.

Dale