shastaron

Equivalent Hooks

I can't remember seeing one. I thought it would be somewhat easy to find.....nope I was wrong. I dug around a little bit and it was a no go. I seen a lot of fly charts but no regular type hook reference chart. If it's out there someone around here will know. I'll keep looking tho, I wonder if there is a such of a chart.

I normally look at the bait and the species that the bait will be used for and get the right size hook to fit the duty. Its also the design of the hook, type of bend, shank and extra heavy or not. Weight class, I guess you would call this. A cross reference chart is not very relevant to me.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

Unfortunatly I think this is almost impossible.  Almost every hook has some difference.  Even if you could get a chart made you have to remember that each and every type of mold has subtle differences.  Take the EC 570 hook for instance.  I know of many molds that call for this hook but if you try the Mustad equivalent it will not work properly.  It would be great if this could be done but you have to remember to take into the account the mold in which the hook is being used.  This is why I try multiple different hooks in each mold to make sure they fit.  Even though a hook looks the same they rarely are. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I just can't see this working.

• Like 2

For molds I must agree with Mr. Barlow. I do modify molds for larger hooks. However shank lengths, bends radius, gap and then the eye are slightly design different. These all have certain uses, but don't fit all molds.

Again I use what the mold manufacturer recommends or will fit with no leakage in the mold. Hard baits is all in the bait performance and the fish species that I'm after. Lately I have design the bait for the right size hook and hook up possibilities. At first this seemed odd to me but it has shown to be successful.

Dale