gaspumper

Deer Tails

Why do you wash them first?

I always debone and scrape any fat off the skin before washing.

I am just curious as they say more than one way to skin a cat... or deer tail.

The black one should make some nice backs for streamers or teasers.

Edited by fshng2

When I first started started deboning and cleaning deer tails I never washed them until after I deboned them they always had a bad odor to them and made a real mess on your hands,then I started washing them before I deboned them no more mess or smell. I have never got into tying flys or streamers I only do bucktail jigs any size up to 2 oz.

Edited by gaspumper

Bone out, scrape 'em, greased lightning and synthropol (sp) bath for a few hours, into an old pillow case and do 2 spin cycles, 15 tails at a time, in the washing machine to get extra water off. Make sure knot is good when closing the bag.

Hang them for a day or so to dry....into the freezer til needed.

I debone, then scrape clean and stretch the hide and pin to a board. Then after they are pinned I use a solution of salt and borax over the hide for 3 weeks to dry out and cure. Once they are done I dump the salt and Borax and then wash the tails in Dawn and warm water and then hang to dry and this works well for me.

I debone, then scrape clean and stretch the hide and pin to a board. Then after they are pinned I use a solution of salt and borax over the hide for 3 weeks to dry out and cure. Once they are done I dump the salt and Borax and then wash the tails in Dawn and warm water and then hang to dry and this works well for me.

I wish I had the room to do all my tails that way. Using over 400 a year, I don't have the time/space. Some times I even get a pot of water up to 180 degrees and soak them in there for 45 minutes or so to get some of the oils out of them, and then wash them.  White tails don't matter to me, but when dying them, need to have as much oil out of them as possible.