Centigrade

Holographic Scales

Hey everyone, I'm very sorry I have not been online the past 3 WEEKS.    work was ending for winter and hunting season ends tomorrow so lots going on in Canada.  Absolutely love what your doing with the scales BTW.   I'm trying to get adhesive tape with removable backing for the scales, I have a lot of different samples and just picked up a leather punch.  Michaels sells vinyl adhesive rolls in various colours but I could not find the silver with rainbow sheen I wanted.  I see the site has changed also, I have a lot of reading to do to catch up but I will start painting this weekend and posting a few photos.   

Centigrade, be careful squeezing leather punch cutters, do it slowly ,and dont go to far. If you over do it the cutter can split. I would also recommend using bit of card or thick paper underneath whatever foil you're using when punching out,this gives a cleaner cut. Like i said ,I just used what happened to be lying about to get an idea of the look, and to test the application process. If i can help with this,let me know. Once i am rid of flu I plan on taking it further ,with different foils and effects. Regards.........glider

• Like 1

It's more of a adhesive vynil I got from WTP INC, I have a bunch of different types.  Will post more as I work with it, just started punching then scales this morning.  These ones are trans holographic and go with my ghost pattern I use in our crystal clear lakes.  

received_10154845769493308.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice effect centigrade, I am resisting the urge to get into workshop ,been warned i need total rest to be rid of flu ,b####r ! .1 other thing centigrade, and dont know if this applies to your build, if you are using e-tex be careful to clean scales to avoid fish eye's. Alcohol can affect adhesive and acetone destroys it . I cleaned foil surface with alcohol before punching, then used small bit of tapered blue tac to lift and place scale's . Keep me posted, cheers. .......glider

Hey centigrade, had a look at wtp, i like the look of your transparent holo, it doesn't mention which ones are transparent, are they all transparent?  Im struggling to find transparent, adhesive backed foil anywhere ,and as i am in scotland i need to be sure i order correct stuff  or cost could be a horror !

I had them mail me a book of all colour they carry . Could not see online so I just guessed what I could use, the book helps though.  I'm not worried about the extex on the second coat because I clean my hands with sanitizer,   have never had a fish eye that I know of, I don't want to clean the bait with alcohol but I may be the best idea.  I'll be fishing this lure so if it doesn't work I guess I'll have to scale them and clean them.  Omg crazy steps for one lure, 18 to 20 scales a side  I really don't know what a fish eye is I'm assuming a spot that doesn't take epoxy from oils stuck on the Lure?  

Email,  WTP they will help you out.  They sent me some samples of the materials I wished to see and a book.  I took pearls which were not foils.   It depends on how you paint, if you foil then paint , ghost or solid colours.  Our many variables,  but they had tons of colours in the book I didn't see online or at least didn't notice until I saw them in hand.  The book has small tabs of the material in its so you can't go wrong.   Once I play with what I have I'll be ordering more, it's good stuff and easy to work with.  

Edited by Centigrade

Thats whats on lures in my pics 21xdc, but trust me , far from ideal for scales,way to much hassle due to fragility and lack of adhesive backing. I do use it for complete coverage on some lures though, the holographic jake type with stripes in my last pic is one example. ........glider

Looking good centigrade, I did email wtp, but no reply. You'd think it might be something they would be interested in producing as peel off and stick scale. Maybe no demand. I will have to scource from china probably, getting translucent adhesive pearl or holo proving difficult to source in u.k.