Centigrade

Holographic Scales

Been looking for holographic scales the past year and so far I've had no success. Lots of lures have them, at least factory lures.  i just can't figure what manufacturers even call it.

Reference 

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lucky_Craft_LC_RTO_Squarebill_Crankbaits/descpage-LCRTO.html

Stciker.jpg

Stciker.jpg

Stciker.jpg

Stciker.jpg

Stciker.jpg

Stciker.jpg

Stciker.jpg

Stciker.jpg

post-48546-0-19343400-1478180528_thumb.jpg

You might find something similar in the finger nail stickers at your local CVS.

Thanks mark, so far i'm looking into nail stickers but having trouble finding stuff that doesn't have flowers.  Also looking into holographic transfer foil, under nail art.  

Whats CVS?

• Like 1

This stuff isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's fairly close.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/reflector-tape-eyes/309111.aspx#ItemImage

that stuff should work i just need to find a Canadian outlet, $15 to ship a $2 roll.  Overlay two peices properly and you could probably achieve the same effect

Centigrade, you could try nail foil by using scale stencil for adhesive to achieve scale shape then applying nail foil,I wasn't overly happy with result though. Another option is using a hole punch and having round scales,you could trim to shape if time not an issue. If you use adhesive backed foil you could work out a way using a scalpel and straight edge to trim two sides of circles in rows to make more scale shaped before punching out and speed up the process if that makes sense, or just use round!

Just did a search and found this website. It has a lot of different sizes, colors, and shapes of sequins that may or may not work for you.

http://www.ccartwright.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=6

This company is in Arkansas, so I don't know how cost effective it would be. Maybe you could find a closer source with similar stock.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Edited by jbck

Closest thing I've found is the holoform tape.  Comes in a transparent style on basspro.  But I'm more going towards individual scales, so i may need to cut my own, and build a punch.  I choose not to use stencils on my baits, so most likely wont use stickers either.  Something about lure uniqueness that keeps me away from symmetrical shapes.

Thanks everyone for the input

Centigrade,

Did you check the link I posted?..Nathan

Yes i did thanks, just can see the picture very well on my computer.   I did email them about the material.  

Have you used it before? Do you know if the scales are part of the clear backing or more like individual stickers.  One looks round and others look square in the photo.  

Edited by Centigrade

I wonder if scale pattern in nathans link are individually removable scales? On some lures from savage gear the scales are ovals and could be made by crushing leather punch circle into oval. Also thought of this,which are fly wing cutters i dug out-20161110_171519.jpg several size's and blade could be manipulated to alter shape if need be.

20161110_171519.jpg

20161110_171519.jpg

20161110_171519.jpg

20161110_171519.jpg

20161110_171519.jpg

20161110_171519.jpg

20161110_171519.jpg

post-47660-0-21967200-1478800197_thumb.jpg

Edited by gliders

I wonder if scale pattern in nathans link are individually removable scales? On some lures from savage gear the scales are ovals and could be made by crushing leather punch circle into oval. Also thought of this,which are fly wing cutters i dug out-attachicon.gif20161110_171519.jpg several size's and blade could be manipulated to alter shape if need be.

Trying to find DIY punch.  that looks very close to what im trying to achieve.  What material is that you punched out?  Does that punch have a size written on it?

Edited by Centigrade
  • Like 1

Thats fly tying wing cutters in photo, i was meaning plier action leather hole type punch with wheel of cutters of different sizes. You could sqeeze one of the round cutters to oval shape. Thats just a bit of heat transfer foil i had lying about, if i can find a bit of adhesive backed foil i will try wing cutter on that as i think it would be much more practical. I do like the effect of some out of place looking scales as seen on wounded prey fish often, think this can be a trigger at times.

Centigrade, i am interested in doing this also as i was going to do it at one point and never got round to it,need to decide what shape will look best before i start altering stuff. Lures i have personally used with them are lucky craft sammy and savagegear 4play 3d minnow pattern. Google the 3d minnow and see what you think.

Yeah im all for oval when it come to shape.  But ill take anything ATM, so far can only find those punches in the UK so i guess im off to try and make one.  Aliexpress sell all sorts of hologram tape if you can wait a month or more for it.  Quality is a guess but a sample roll is like 0.99, and probably the same stuff you buy from a store for 3.99