TrophyFishR

Garage Ventilation

What do you guys use for Garage ventilation ?

I'm going to fix up something to move air, due to allergy sinus infections from airbrush createx & clear coating. I have a respirator but I need to move that air so the suspended paint particles aren't hanging out in the garage.

Do you guys have any suggestions or handy diagrams?

If that were the case I suspect paint booths all over the country would be blowing up every day.  There are only a couple things that can spark with an AC induction motor.  The disconnect switch for the start winding might, but its pretty well protected.  The on-off switch might.  The motor itself is not constantly generating a shower of sparks like a universal brush motor.  

I expect most paint both fans get turned on long before the fumes start flying and get turned off long after the fumes are all vented anyway.  

Te I build homes from start to finish I would suggest what the gentlemen said put a window between the studs and when your painting or clear coating just buy a cheap fan at Walmart and put it in front of the window backwards so the air blows out it may be a lot of work if you have brick on the outside you will have to cut out a hole for the window in the brick you would problem want to get a mason to do that for you another alternative which I did in my paint room it's 12x12

I got two dryer vents and had them placed six ft apart through the brick so they were inside my joistis and ran six feet of flexible dryer vent or furnace tin pipe I think it's six inch diameter and I hooked up two bathroom fans I put mine both on separate switches but you don't need to do that to be onest I could have got away with one by the sounds of it your garage is probably 18x19 two may be better my room is in my basement and with one fan running and the door closed no one in my home smells nothing also if you went with the fan system you might just want to crack you garage door just a crack like an inch so you have fresh air comeing in so the fans have sir to suck out I hope this helps

They're brick walls & im not planning to live here more than another year. So cracking the garage door is the best idea. I paint a lot at night in the dead of winter & its 35-45degrres in the there for 3 months. The garage has a partition wall separated the converted garage room. You can pull a mower or atv in here but that's all. I'm guessing it's 10ft x 24ft Space that I'm painting in. The other 2/3 of the garage is my kids play room. So I can't let fumes build up in my little garage space. The previous owner built an odd layout.

I myself wear a dust mask no mater what. I use a dust air unit in my shop but I try to let this be the last precaution. I will also use window fans or whatever will move certain particles away from me. A dust gathering unit is very helpful in many ways, even if you just use a shop vac. I've been wanting to make a paint booth but I haven't done it yet. Even after quite a few years of painting. I would rather paint then take the time, I have got to make one tho. :)

If I'm pouring lead even if it's just a few ballast weights I do it outside. I will wait for a good day and pour. If it's in the summer I will pour very early in the morning. Normally I do most of my pouring this time of the year. I never pour or smelt inside.

Make a booth with a small filter and hook up a small shop vac if you have to or just get some small fans and mount them to the back of the booth. You can make this for a few bucks. I will design mine by vacuuming from the bottom like what car body shops have. That's just me.

Take care,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

I've been using this for 6 years and works great. I also have a fresh air system I will post

http://www.turbineproducts.com/breathecool-ii-supplied-air-respirator-system-w-half-face-mask/
You only have one pair of lungs and I only have 35% total function...so if I want to play....I have to pay......!

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

005.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

31ohpa98REL.jpg

post-13859-0-12639400-1478273328_thumb.jpg

post-13859-0-34800200-1478273344_thumb.jpg

post-13859-0-87693200-1478273354_thumb.jpg

post-13859-0-36444100-1478273575_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard Prager
  • Like 1

Portable solution..

I always see these dirt cheap 70's Winnebago's on CL. Just grab one of those and some industrial ceiling vents on opposite ends and your good to go! It's also portable! When someone is bugging you at home, or you get the "your in the shop too much", just drive off! Put "Walterwt"

On the plates or something..

Sorry I feel like a genius right now.. I might pursue this.

• Like 3

Portable solution..

I always see these dirt cheap 70's Winnebago's on CL. Just grab one of those and some industrial ceiling vents on opposite ends and your good to go! It's also portable! When someone is bugging you at home, or you get the "your in the shop too much", just drive off! Put "Walterwt"

Didn't they do that on Breaking Bad?

Portable solution..

Dude, you've already inhaled way too many fumes!

Edited by mark poulson