goldenshinner

Reel Repair Where To Start

curious, asking for a pal of mine. is there any recommendations where to start a small business of reel repair. the guys i know that are well established. basically gathered tons and tons of used junk reels for nothing, and just stockpiled them, to source the parts cheep enough. .

for a new guy is there a place to get generic run of the mill replacement parts that will work "good enough" and cheep enough that its $money sense to repair a $20 reel?.... of course expensive reels are always worth it, its the 95% of what most people have and use in many areas of country

no, i could see that on mail order. im comparing to inner city shop, that closed now. mostly foot traffic. just run of the mill stuff that comprises 90% of what most people in country use, and probably toss out when broken, go back to wallmart and get another. but some try to save and fix.

most of these reels are made in china. i see they are starting to offer parts direct. 

It just don't see it as a viable business in my opinion for many reasons:  Customer base, the product, and price point being the main ones but several others.    I guess I can't see trying to fix disposable, cheaply made products for local residents that don't intend to spend money in the first place as a good business model.  

If, as you say, there are people wanting to repair a $20 reel at what price point does it become economically feasible to do so? If it only costs $5 to repair a $20 reel you've already spent 25% of what it would cost to buy a new reel. And what do you have? A used $20 reel that is subject to break down again. Probably sooner than later.

There can't be much profit coming out of that $5 repair either. I doubt there would hardly be enough profit to pay the light bill. If someone were wanting to do something like this because they enjoy doing it and wanted to pick up a couple bucks on the side then it might be OK as a sort of hobby. As a business model? I would say no.

just my :twocents: ,

Ben

From my experience in repairing rods and reels, its not the cheap stuff that gets repaired, but the middle of the pack quality stuff. Most people don't realize how few parts are interchangeable, so stocking parts just doesn't work on a small scale operation. If you can find good quality reels that are very cheap, repair them, sell them instead of saving them for parts because it is usually the same part in any certain reel that always wears out. You can order new parts and be able to guarantee your work. We need repair people to maintain reels as they are always changing models and parts. There used to be a company that would sell you a BUNCH of schematics to use for ordering parts. I believe they went out of business. It is easy to find schematics online now. There is a company that sells parts and does repairs through the big Bass Pro Shop Catalogue. Check out what they set as a starting labor charge. Good luck, Musky Glenn

yep, i tried to order guides thru that basspro repair shop, and they cut off random guides and sent. one tip top did not even fit, the rest guides (for a dozzen rods) were not even close match. totaly different. when i called and asked, they said, they dont stock anything but tips-tops!!!.

best repair shop i have seen so far, is closed in Minneapolis area, they had like a room full of old broken reels, and would repair about anything for very decent price. most people wouldn't pick up, then it would go on sale shelf!!!