jimmie7915

Swimbait Help

Hey guys I need some help. I have carved my master, made mold and pours my first bait.

This is a 5.5 " 4 piece shad bait. I'm trying to make a floater and a slow sink version of this. Pretty sure I've got the slow sink part ok but I cannot for the life of me get this thing to float the way I want.

Ive used equal amounts of micro balloons and part a and b of the alumilite and only have 1/8 of an ounce of lead in the whole bait and it still wants to slowly sink. It swims great but sinks. If I use any less weight at all it just rolls over and doesn't balance out right.

I will try to attach video so you can see what I'm talking about.

Edited by jimmie7915

Jimmie7915 would you mind telling me your process of how you converted your wood blank to a resin?  I make 6.5 and 8.5" wood swimbaits and am wanting to make the jump over to resin.  Do I cut the wood blank into segments before I make my mold so that when i pour the resin, the bait is already segmented?  I'm just confused on what the best process is and what materials I need.

Jimmie7915 would you mind telling me your process of how you converted your wood blank to a resin?  I make 6.5 and 8.5" wood swimbaits and am wanting to make the jump over to resin.  Do I cut the wood blank into segments before I make my mold so that when i pour the resin, the bait is already segmented?  I'm just confused on what the best process is and what materials I need.

this is a link to a video by Mikko of solarbaits showing step by step how to go about what you are having problems with...

• Like 1

Jimmie, I'm sure you've tried this already, but sometimes it's the obvious solutions that escape us.... More micro balloons?

For the shape and size you're after, there should be no reason you can't achieve a buoyant, stable body

Also, not so obvious, let the resin cure longer before you test.. I've noticed a difference in buoyancy from day one to day two

Edited by JRammit