mike russell

Roberts Wrap On Frogging Rod

Great marketing on Mr. Roberts part for naming something that was around at least 40 years before he was born. It's also been called acid wrap, and a muriad of other things. It's universally just called spiral wrapping. Won't improve or hurt your casting, it selling point is it takes all torque out of your rod and stabilizes it like a spinning rod, or fly rod. Guides and reel on top always wants to force the rod to go upside down under load, the spiral wrap with the tip most guides on the bottom like a spinning rod, it will force the rod into the upright position anytime it's under load. Even if you start with the rod upside down putting load on the rod will roll the rod into the upright position, now you only have to hold the rod hard enough to keep it in your hands, comes in handy when netting fish, etc. by yourself, among other things.

I spiral wrap most of my rods, except rods used for jerkbaits or other presentations where the rod is held downward while retrieving.   Main advantage imo is that you can usually get away with one less guide on the Rod.   Other than that, I haven't really experienced any of the big "advantages" of spiral wraps in the practical sense.

• Like 1

The only rod I wrap left is a flipping stick because I use ny left hand to grasp the line  when flipping.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter but I wrap right on all my other spiral rods, no reason, it just seems "right"  to wrap that way for me.  I've never experienced any line stacking to left or right on a reel spool when using any of the spiral wrap schemes, so that's a non-issue.  Some of the early spiral schemes (Roberts?) used a slightly offset first guide to correct for any possible stacking but that has not proven to be an issue, at least for bass rods.