robalo01

Dip And Turn White Primer?

Hi,

I am tinkering with the idea of making wooden baits in moderately large quantities (30-50 per day). The one thing that stumps me is the primer. I am looking for something thick to help cover imperfections. I saw a guy on Youtube (Toxic Baits) was dipping in white enamel. I have never had much luck with that method the paint seems to drag while it drags. Turning it doesn't work. Maybe I should work on thinning it?

I saw Stamford Baits dips in some kind of white primer.

What do most of you guys use?

Anyone pigmenting epoxy and turning?

Stephen

Over the years, I have not had any luck "with something thick to help cover imperfections".

Starting with a wood lure blank that has been sanded and imperfections filled, I finely sand, then dip in a sealer, then "knock off the knap" light sand, then dip in a thin white lacquer primer, sand again, then dip in a 2nd coat of thin white lacquer primer, then "knock off the knap" light sand, then visually check for imperfections and if necessary dip in a 3rd coat of thin white primer, and finally "knock off the knap" light sand and my lure should be ready for color painting.

As has been advised by many on this forum, sealer, primer, color paint and top coat should be compatible to avoid issues. Suggest you run some tests in your ambient humidity to see how they work together for you.

Let us know what works best for you.

John

I have been sealing with super glue, sanding and dipping in an acrylic sealer. Then sprying on 1-2 coats of acrylic primer, sandin in between until smooth enough to paint.  I just wonder how people who do a lot of baits manage it, I have a felling they don't do a lot of hand sanding.

I wonder if it's more worthwhile to sand the imperfections out and use just one dip in a lacquer primer. At mass production level time is important just behind quality. A happy customer is a future customer. A trial of doing this both ways of about 5-10 baits should tell you what's best.

Just a thought,

Dale

Mark,

I go by a paint shop here in town and get a gallon of white for about 20.00 bucks then thin it to the point you almost have two gallons..I'm not sure of the brand...When he gives it to me it is in a unlabeled silver can..I'll ask him next time I'm in..Nathan

• Like 1