earthworm77

I Need To Find Some Bagley's Replacement Diving Lips

I have a small trove of Bagley's baits that have cracked or broken diving lips from the past 30 or so years. I'd like to get them back in action. I've had some luck modifying lips from Netcraft, LPI and Lurecraft but some simply won't work.

I contacted Bagley's but they outsource their lures for assembly out of country and don't keep stock in the US. Circuit board is too thin for many of these baits as well.

Most of these baits are Bitty B's, B1 and B2's in both shallow and deep models....anyone have a few lips laying around that I could buy or swap for? Any help is appreciated.-C

• Like 1

I think making your own with Lexan is your best bet.  I use it in 1/16" and 1/8", and get it from Home Depot.

If you think circuit board is too thin because of the lip slot in your baits, consider using a filler to make up the difference.  Circuit board really works well for crank bills.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I agree with Mark on the circuit board. 1/32" works well for small to medium cranks and you can use epoxy putty from a home center to mount the thinner lip. Just fill the slot with putty and push in the lip, smooth out the excess that is pushed out the rear of the slot. If you want to go traditional, polycarbonate (aka Lexan) sheets are available from many sources. It cuts easily with simple metal shears and cleans up nicely with a Dremel sanding drum. Since you are having to modify lips you buy from LPO, etc, anyway you might as well go whole hog and buy raw lip material. It's easier to use than you think and is much more cost efficient.

• Like 1

Mark, my favorite putty is whatever brand's on the shelf at my local Home Depot. I can't tell much difference in any of the brand's I've tried, although I did like the very smooth consistency of a stick of J.E. Moser epoxy I ordered from Southwest Woodworkers. There may be small differences in work time between brands but generally, they all harden in about 5 minutes and have the same material attributes when cured. I also use putty to install belly weights when in a hurry.

I use liquid, paste, and putty epoxy just depending on which is easier and most effective to use for a particular crankbait building task.

• Like 1