Xcremente

Painting S-Waver

My manager wants me to paint a new S-Waver he just purchased. My question is how to prep for paint, just lightly sand the bait?

also when painting should i close the joint off and just leave the original clear and paint inside? I use Devcon 2 ton right now and I think if i try to clear in there it will not swim properly. I told him me repainting one would probably make the bait a little heavier but he said he is fine if just sinks a little faster.

any input would be appreciated since I know those blanks are either nonexistent or extremely rare to come by.

I repainted a couple of s-wavers.  I popped the eyes out and used a small pot blaster with blasting grit.  If you have one available the coating blows off very quickly and easily making for a real nice blank bait to paint.  21xdc's rubber band idea works great at the joint.  I also stretch the bait inside an embroidery ring for painting and coating.  Wire the nose to one side, remove the tail and use a piece of wire and rubber bands to stretch the tail section to the other side.  Makes it easy to handle/hang.  I used D2T for top coating and didn't have any problems.  I may have posted a pic of one in the gallery.  If you can blast the coating off, it works great with transparent paints for ghost baits.  Good luck and no worries, it will turn out great.

Barry

I've never painted one of those but the joint look similar to some I make. If the rubber band is hard to get in there, try liquid frisket (spelling), this is what I was told. Put it on the hinge and clean it after you are finish. Now...I couldn't find it around here. I ended up using white out for paper correction. WORKED Great! :)

Now you will want to keep the bait straight and tight as you paint and seal. I got this one from Ben, use a wooden coat hanger (or something similar). Set the hanger up side down. In the arm spread set up a rubber band holding device. This will hold it tight till you are ready to take the bait out. Its a very nice way to do this.

As far as blasting try baking soda, a little less harsh then a light sand. Although you can turn down the pressure.

I agree, you'll get it. Take your time.

Dale

www.realisticwraps.com has decal type diecut  things that you apply then heat.The diecuts are designed for specific lures.They said that s-weavers are coming out soon.Guys on this site probably hate these type (Jigskinz too) finishes because it takes all the craftsmanship out of the equation but they look good and are easy to use.Right up my alley-no talent nessary to get a good looking bait.