Hannibal

Cleaning Very Small Eyelets

No need to add nothing further about that. I think Smalljaws said it very well!

As far as the topic of the thread, a contaminant would stop the bonding on larger eyes. Smaller eyes....well my eyes are not that good anymore. :drool: As long as it didn't touch the head.

WHAT? I had to get us back on track. Let's move on, not worth it, it's that simple.

Whoa.......I can't leave you out Mark. Your last word sum it up.....perfectly.

Edited by DaleSW
Adding

16 hours ago, Squeaky said:

Fellows... I never meant to stir the pot. And I understand that this is a community that shares its information, a community that I haven't been a part of. I learned many techniques from other sites, but am new to this one. I'm not trying to push my product... 

It took me many years to figure out how to have super clean eyes and hooks, and I'm just not going tell all my secrets...  I told the premise of what needs to be done, if you read the post!! The parts need to be COVERED!! What more needs to be said..  That's more than I share with Joe blow off the street... How you do it is up to you. 

You guys are pretty harsh... I sell these things and have a pretty successful time doing so. It would be pretty silly of me to hold your hands through it, don't you think?? It's not rocket science... If the part needs to be covered.. It's up to you to figure out how to do it.....  

I know many of you from another site, that I was pretty active on at one time. I learned a lot just by looking at your jigs and paints. But this is one thing I learned on my own.

im taking down my picture... Just to show I'm not trying to push my product on here. 

I'll go back into lurker mode

thanks for the warm welcome

Here's my take on what you said.

I've posted my secret techniques before on this and other forums.

Stuff that cost me money and a lot of time,trial,and error to discover.

People such as yourself are often the first to ask how I did it and want to know my secrets after I post the first picture.

This would include techniques like how to foil a slab jig that I posted a how to on.

But when someone asks you a question you post a non helpful standard answer.

To say that your not giving up your secrets is condescending on a forum such as this.

Why bother posting at all?

It's blatantly obvious that the eye needs to be covered. The technique he looking for is how that is accomplished or the best/easiest way to do so.

I'm guessing whatever your technique is a member here has done it the same way they just haven't found this thread yet or decided not to post because they aren't willing to divulge the secret and  fear sounding as condescending as you did by mentioning they wish to keep it that way.

I understand not posting all your secrets but posting that you have them and are not sharing makes you sound arrogant.

I may not post all my secrets but I also don't tell people i'm not sharing them. I just don't post in those threads at all.

For me keeping eyes clear on smaller jigs involves curved forceps and a 3" fluid bed. Covering the 90* eye with the forceps jaws  and having both the forceps and jig vertical works for me on many jigs.

but you need the room of the 3" fluid bed as smaller ones don't always allow enough room for it to work.

I'm not sure it would work on a size 18 hook but does work on a size 8 and 10.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
spelling
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 2:30 AM, DaleSW said:

I have started doing pretty small jigs and I found quick that this quote is true. If you care about the eye then keep the paint out the best you can.

Think about it this way, to clean the eyes take a bit of time. If you protect the eye, time saved and fustration. :yay:

Especially true when i'm out on the ice trying to tie on a tiny jig in freezing cold weather.

One less step on the ice that is a big headache saver.

• Like 2

I like to say this, I'm like Kasilofcrisn, if I'm not going to be helpful or I do a "secret" that I don't want to tell, I won't state anything.

But you know, I have told something's that I came up with. Was it ground breaking.......probably not. Did it make a task easier for someone else.......most likely. I guess that's a flaw in my personality compared to yours.

I have been wanting to say this from the beginning of this detour. When I zoomed in on the eyes of the jigs I see scratches I believe.....I could be wrong and really don't give a @$&/ now!

Stay here Squeaky, you have something to give.......well maybe? If so you now know how we are!

I'm back on the main road again, got thru that detour. My meaning is, I'm over this now.

Dale

I use an old set of Acetylene tip cleaners. I cut each one off of the holder. Heat the jig and dip it. If it gets paint in the eye. I run the tip cleaner through one side of eye and out the other. While it's still hot. If it cools heat the jig back up. If you get paint in the eye after curing. Heat the jig and run a sewing needle through the eye.  

15 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I use old needle nose pliers with smooth jaws to hold the jigs by the eye when I'm heating them and dipping them in my fluid bath.

I don't make/coat really small jigs, but, if I did, I'd use hemostats with the jaws smoothed so they didn't scar the hook eye.  Light line is not forgiving.

Good idea Mark.

I may have to make a pair or two of my hemostats  smooth jawed.

I may even try dipping a pair in some high temp silicone and see how that works?

I was thinking it would hold better and keep the hook eye clean.

• Like 2

I still use the round toothpick method. Probably would not work with the smaller sizes some of you may use, but down to #8 hooks, works for me.

After the painting of the jig, if there is paint in the eye, I run the round toothpick through the eye while spinning it  and the wood pulls off some of the extra paint. May have to do it 2-3 times and hold it over the heat gun again if I really messed up and over painted it. 

I have a old set of miniature curved pliers that have a smooth work surface that would do well for this. Then I started thinking about how I modified a mold for oversize hooks. This may work for all sizes. Take a pair of needle nose and drill a recessed hole with a flat bottom near the edge of the jaws (both sides). That would fit the OD of the eye. File the thin metal to let the neck from the eye to go through.

I don't needed to do it at this time, but I will try it when I do more jigs. It's gotta work. Only problem is to keep far enough from the head, not to effect the paint job. Heck you could do it with two pieces of metal to do two or so. Depending on the size of your fluid bed and jigs.

:?hmmm,

Dale

14 hours ago, Apdriver said:

I was thinking the same thing Chris. I wonder if you could take the pliers, hemos, or other device, wrap silicone plumbers tape around the jaw and use it that way. I think I'll give that a try next time I paint some jigs.

I may have to try that tape first that's a good idea.

If it doesn't work well enough I have some red RTV that I have used to mod a jig mold before that I will try.

I buy my hemostats off of eBay usually a dozen at a time. so I usually have a few extra pairs to work with.

• Like 1