porkmeatballs

What Is That Grey Coat On People's Masters?

You are probably referring to a mold release agent. This is a thin coating that will prevent the master from binding to the molding material. There are various types of mold release agent. My favorite is floor wax, another popular is Vaseline. I have even used a thin spray of olive oil when working with silicone molds, to release resin.

Dave

If you are pooring them it may be primer. You can spare primer in your mold and then poor the resin. When you demold it the primer will be bonded to the resin and will not come off. Just use a primer that is compatible with your paint system.

PS you can also dust your molds with alumalite dust.

Edited by buzfly

18 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Dave, so the mold release just helps the master come out of the mold better?  It doesn't cover up blemishes?

Correct the primary job is help the master come out of the mold better.  Depending on the complexity of the mold the more concerned you have to be with mold release.  It will cover up blemishes (minor) but it can also add blemishes to your master.  For example you can transfer over detail to the mold if you don't apply the product correctly.  I have a mold I made that my finger print can be partially observed in the RTV because I got a little sloppy.  

I typically will seal my master well with a clear coat (usually shellac) then use Mann Ease realease 200 series or Johnson's paste wax when I make my molds.  Paste wax works well and is fairly fool proof.  Coat with wax let dry then buff excess off.   I have used spray paint also (gloss) but have had it react a few times and made the mold have sort of an orange peel finish (paint was smooth before molding).  I think it was more of a fluke but switched from using.  In the picture below, probably a lure from well over 12 years ago based on the use of those hideous lips,  you can see the orange peel look of the finished bait.  Flat colored baits not as bad but pearl and more noticeable as catches light differently.

Crank2.jpg

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2