Apdriver

Material for fish scales

Hi guys, I don't visit the hard bait section much but knew you guys could answer my question  very quickly. What's the best material to lay on your bait then airbrush over to get that scale effect? I tried the shower scrubber and it was OK. Just looking for a more consistent material that's a little easier to work with. That scrubber wanted to wander all over the place. Also, what do you find  is the best clamp to keep it in place?

If your having trouble with the netting wandering around try spraying it with some low tac adhesive spray.  Just lay the netting out flat and give it a quick spray.  It doesn't take much and creates a good seal between the netting and the lure so paint doesn't migrate under the netting.

Ben

• Like 1

I use hair curl clips to hold the material.. Using lower pressure and or spraying light coats from a distance helps keep the paint from going under the material.  No need for any adhesive.  I can bend and break off the clips to any desired length, They have a lot of strength when shortened.

dual_purpose_clip_75ct.jpg

Edited by 21xdc

I found some better material today that feels like it won't be as slippery. Bought a yard of a couple different pieces to try both. I tried the spring steel paper clips/binders and was able to make them work. They held pretty good but thought the alligator clips might work better with the tulle and the teeth on the alligator clips. 

Rayburn Guy, what adhesive are you using?

5 hours ago, Apdriver said:

Rayburn Guy, what adhesive are you using?

I'm using Loctite General Performance spray adhesive.  It's the Lightweight Bonding 100 series. Have been getting it from Ebay.

Here's a link. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=loctite+100+spray+adhesive&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xloctite+general+performance++spray+adhesive.TRS0&_nkw=loctite+general+performance++spray+adhesive&_sacat=0

The best way to apply the netting once it's sprayed is to hold the bait in some type of vice, holder, or whatever you have so both hands are free. Just stretch the netting between your hands and lay it over the bait. 

I had used binder clips, clothes pins, etc. for a couple years before Gene told me about using the adhesive spray. With the binder clips, clothes pins, etc. you have to pull the netting tight. This can be a problem getting the netting to fit tight around diving lips since the netting won't conform to the bait where the lip protrudes from the bait. With the spray you don't have to have the netting stretched overly tight which will allow it to conform to the bait better.

If you decide to try the spray and have any problems just give me a holler and I'll try to help.

Ben

• Like 1

Thanks for the links, Ultimate predators. Ben, thanks for the advice and the adhesive that works best for you. All you guys will save me a ton of trial and error and I appreciate that. After getting into airbrushing a bit, scaling is one technique I need in my toolkit. Again, thanks a bunch.