eastman03

Correct wire?

Just looking for some input too see if I'm using the right wire. Building 12" wire through deep diving musky  crankbaits.  The wire is aircraft gauge stainless steel wire but it seems really malleable. Like I'm worried about its overall strength, of the eyes will bend too easy.  It is .051 gauge. The wire I used last year was some sort of music wire. Super springy, impossible to work with. 

Let me know what you think. Maybe it's just the right stuff. 

IMG_2976.JPG

I assume you're using soft temper stainless steel wire.  I don't build musky baits but use .041 in bass lures and when bent into a small circle for a hook hanger or line tie, find there is no deformation of the eye during fishing.  Plus, it is easier to form and works especially well for line ties anchored in a lure's wooden nose since it allows tuning the bait without breaking the finish around the eye.

if you have serious reservations about the wire, you can go with one that has intermediate temper, such as Malin stainless fishing wire.  It's much easier to bend than hard wire but harder than soft temper.  Malin Hard-Wire is the brand name.  I occasionally use #12 Malin wire that is 180 lb test and only .029 diameter.  It comes in a resealable bag at a reasonable price.

• Like 2

Not sure if posting links is allowed, forgive me if its not.  I use this wire, from Canada.  Its very strong and is hard to bend any of the loops I make with it.  Shipping is very fast to AZ, I can only imagine it would take a day or two to get to you. 

https://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=121

Edited by trav
  • Like 1

Yes!! Nice fish.  Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I figured it would be ok.  As long as the hook hangers are not hanging out too much.  I hope to have a pig like that on the end of my line next year!! Went out to LOTW this last sunday, late late muskies.  Caught two, nothing that big!