dpalinsk

Looking for "how to" info for tapping powder paint

I have been using a fluid bed for primary color then tapping second color with a brush but I was thinking of a sifter (like flour) it did not work screen was to large.....went to the store and bought some regular fiber screen and worked fine (with some work) then a friend (Azfisher) put me on to paint screen....without a doubt works awesome with just a light tap and I can contain the drifting paint easily.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 1:31 PM, BLT said:

Subvet, First off, thanks for your service!

I do a lot of Ultra minnow jigs, mostly 4oz. anymore. Are you using a fluid bed? I dip them into a fluid bed all the time. Nice work on what you have done so far.

BLT, my pleasure.  I'm putting a fluid bed together right now (I have a lot of aquarium stuff that I'm not using).  I just got started making jigs mainly because I lose them all the time fishing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel  and figured it would be cheaper just to make my own for me and and my friends.  (Several hundred dollars later and several hundred jigs, this may not have been so economical!)  I've got a 2-3-4 oz mold coming in the mail and will start pouring those this week.  I appreciate all the advice you've put on this forum, it's already helped me quite a bit.

4 hours ago, NCSUBVET said:

BLT, my pleasure.  I'm putting a fluid bed together right now (I have a lot of aquarium stuff that I'm not using).  I just got started making jigs mainly because I lose them all the time fishing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel  and figured it would be cheaper just to make my own for me and and my friends.  (Several hundred dollars later and several hundred jigs, this may not have been so economical!)  I've got a 2-3-4 oz mold coming in the mail and will start pouring those this week.  I appreciate all the advice you've put on this forum, it's already helped me quite a bit.

I know people that fish the BB tunnel and Kiptopeke area on the north side of the bridge. Never went down there from Pa. myself. Have another guy on my one forum that goes out on his kayak in the v. beach area.

• Like 1

I have a fluid bed and the hobby sandblaster for powder painting, but I find myself not using them.  I don't really have a workshop so hauling it all out and putting it all back is a pain. Just fluff and stuff, and a fan brush to tap gets  the job done for the amount of jigs I make. I think I was trying to buy instant results instead of taking the time to get better. Of course I just do this for fun so I do a few of this and that at a sitting. Easy to switch colors with a brush and jars.

What I've learned is I get better results if I work with a very lightly loaded brush.  You get a dusting instead of a clumping. I'm slow and take my time.   I also find the mixes I make with clear and mica don't seem to tap as well. Either too clumpy, so add more clear, and then the color is lighter so need to tap on more to get the color I want.  Maybe my mixing needs work...

• Like 3

On 2/2/2017 at 11:47 AM, mjs said:

I have a fluid bed and the hobby sandblaster for powder painting, but I find myself not using them.  I don't really have a workshop so hauling it all out and putting it all back is a pain. Just fluff and stuff, and a fan brush to tap gets  the job done for the amount of jigs I make. I think I was trying to buy instant results instead of taking the time to get better. Of course I just do this for fun so I do a few of this and that at a sitting. Easy to switch colors with a brush and jars.

What I've learned is I get better results if I work with a very lightly loaded brush.  You get a dusting instead of a clumping. I'm slow and take my time.   I also find the mixes I make with clear and mica don't seem to tap as well. Either too clumpy, so add more clear, and then the color is lighter so need to tap on more to get the color I want.  Maybe my mixing needs work...

Don't feel bad.  I just pinch some power between my thumb and forefinger, and add it to my hot jigs.  It is ham footed, but I am no artist.

On 12/26/2016 at 8:24 PM, dpalinsk said:

Poured some lead so I could do some more testing and learning.

IMG_0470.JPG

Good looking colors for Rockfish(cod for the west coast) and Lings.

If those are powder coated, where did you get the metallic purple and orange from? 

8 hours ago, sdsaw said:

Good looking colors for Rockfish(cod for the west coast) and Lings.

If those are powder coated, where did you get the metallic purple and orange from? 

Prismatic Powders.  Disco purple and Illusion Spanish Fly.  Disco Purple has to go over a base color like Ink Black.  On the Illusion colors, it's a two step process and you have apply a clear coat to get the full effect of the color.

On 2/5/2017 at 3:34 AM, dpalinsk said:

Prismatic Powders.  Disco purple and Illusion Spanish Fly.  Disco Purple has to go over a base color like Ink Black.  On the Illusion colors, it's a two step process and you have apply a clear coat to get the full effect of the color.

Awesome looking!

Thanks for the reply

Just another option for applying powder other than brush tapping  is by using a plastic sample bottle and lid from the dollar store. A film container will work also. Just drill single or multiple holes in the lid and shake or tap the powder out over your pre heated  project. Not a fine detail delivery but very nice blended color effects can be attained. Experimenting with hole size and numbers give you a lot of options.  Again re heating the jig head as it cools to set the paint before oven curing

• Like 2