Skimpy

Making Some Football Swing Jigs

On 12/22/2016 at 11:52 PM, jcdogfish said:

Does using the spray hinder painting?

I have been using the Frankfort Arsenal drop out spray for about two years. 

It is a graphite base product used as a release agent for molding bullets.

I always use it for molding lead lures.

Before heating my lead I spray mold cavities, spray dries in about 5 min.

I pour about three times without hooks. This allows me to get the mold hot and to adjust the thermostat on my lee Magnum pot.

If I do alot of pouring I respray so lead comes out easy.

I have never ever had a problem powder painting afterwards.

• Like 1

I use the Swing Jig football and Poison Tail jigs extensively and watching them in the water with a variety of baits I don't think the baits make a significant improvement in the  swing back and forth. However, if you watch Skimpy's water tank testing video and the baits in clear water what you do see is a significant improvement in the "tail up" with many baits.

I have landed well over a 100 bass on the football and Poison tail  swing jigs (up to 6.5 lbs) and what I have noticed is that there is a SIGNIFICANT decrease in the bass's ability to leverage the weight and throw the hook/bait. The leverage is decreased in the "Swing" wire. I won't say I didn't loose any fish....but I don't remember loosing any!

Watch his aquarium video and see if you agree. Especially the Mad Dad 3xl at the end!

• Like 2

On 1/5/2017 at 11:07 AM, DaBehr said:

I use the Swing Jig football and Poison Tail jigs extensively and watching them in the water with a variety of baits I don't think the baits make a significant improvement in the  swing back and forth. However, if you watch Skimpy's water tank testing video and the baits in clear water what you do see is a significant improvement in the "tail up" with many baits.

I have landed well over a 100 bass on the football and Poison tail  swing jigs (up to 6.5 lbs) and what I have noticed is that there is a SIGNIFICANT decrease in the bass's ability to leverage the weight and throw the hook/bait. The leverage is decreased in the "Swing" wire. I won't say I didn't loose any fish....but I don't remember loosing any!

Watch his aquarium video and see if you agree. Especially the Mad Dad 3xl at the end!

I agree. I have fished a lot of swing football jigs and  noticed the same. I actually haven't fished the poison swingtail yet though. It's my newest mold.  I have a feeling it will become one of my favorites though lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fshng2 said:

Thanks DaBehr & Skimpy for the replies.

The Cherry Picker & Mad Dog look so real!

Does the swing impart more action to the overall bait?

It would be interesting to see a fixed jig and swing jig in a side by side demo.

Might just have to make a new video !!!!!!

• Like 1