stretcher66

Chroming your baits

aluminum tape polished with Mothers aluminum polish

I use paint brushes and rattle cans for my baits. probably would make no difference with an airbrush setup. haven't had any issues with epoxy clearcoat either.

the polished aluminum does make the bait shine more although the 'mirror' chrome effect is lost somewhat due to the clearcoat.

crappies.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrhopkins said:

aluminum tape polished with Mothers aluminum polish

I use paint brushes and rattle cans for my baits. probably would make no difference with an airbrush setup. haven't had any issues with epoxy clearcoat either.

the polished aluminum does make the bait shine more although the 'mirror' chrome effect is lost somewhat due to the clearcoat.

crappies.JPG

Thanks.  I've stayed away from polish, even though I have some.  I'll have to give it a try.

Those are amazing looking baits, once again!

Edited by mark poulson

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, jonister said:

How do you guys paint so realistically?! I'm seeing swimbaits especially that look like a taxidermy fish with hinges and hooks.. 

practice, practice, practice!

first attempt at a largemouth followed by the latest bait made last fall.

IMG_0096.JPG

largemouth bass2.jpg

• Like 3

just wondering if anyone tried a copper base coat before chrome..i sanded down a old chrome bomber and the base coat was copper not black.....we also chrome parts in the shop and had to have a few stripped   ..base coat  copper.   just wondering if the copper has any thing to do with a better chrome finish

I think the copper is used as an undercoater in metalic plating to give the chrome a really smooth surface to plate over.  Chrome shows every defect, and copper is soft enough to be buffed really smooth.  I don't think the same would apply with painting.  Every chrome paint I've ever tried or read about said use a black prime coat.

• Like 1

dale I'm confused on your question. I do know with automotive paints theres far more choices. mettalics, pearls, candy paints. .the above are far finer in pigments,can be thinned more and achieve finer details as overlay of scaling,stecniling etc. automotive paints are normally more costly then standard enamels,pearls even more money.,but we feel we can achieve better artwork on the products we spray. dry times are faster also.you need an air system to remove the nasty chemicals.when we do production runs on spoons/blades we use mostly automotive paints and clearcoats. we can achieve excellent coverage without weighting down the product,that can kill bait action..hope this rambling helps someone out.

• Like 2

You answered my question just fine. My question was from not knowing exactly about the paints, which made it confusing.

No I'm going to leave the auto paints a lone for the reason of the chemicals being released. Even tho I have a friend building me a paint booth out of sheet metal and I can get some filters. Just not worth to me.

Thanks Woodie

7 hours ago, fishon-son said:

just wondering if anyone tried a copper base coat before chrome..i sanded down a old chrome bomber and the base coat was copper not black.....we also chrome parts in the shop and had to have a few stripped   ..base coat  copper.   just wondering if the copper has any thing to do with a better chrome finish

The copper is not about giving any color to a chrome finish and it's not there to give the chrome a smooth finish.  It is there because chrome can't be applied directly to a plastic surface. It won't stick. Chrome will stick to copper however so they first apply the copper to the lure. and then apply the chrome over the copper.

Ben

• Like 1

At first I saw a ad that showed Spectra had a rattle can paint. I was wrong evidently. It seems to be a auto spray paint. This would not be confident for most. However while looking I found a Krylon rattle can chrome. Kinda pricey, but if it works you may not think so. The name is Dupli-Color. Wally World has it for $17.

Dale