stretcher66

Chroming your baits

I have tried different types of paints to give the chrome look. The best I got was a shiny aluminum look after the clear coates. A load of people has tried but were not successful either. Polish became a contaminant to the paint adhesion. I'm going to keep at it and may come up with something. ????

I actually tried to clear coat a piece of chrome, and it lost the "chrome" effect.

The problem, in my humble opinion, is that a clear can be as clear as it can get, and I tried lots and lots of clears, but .........

The best analogy is fluorocarbon verses monofilament.  Both look clear but the fluorocarbon has a "refraction" closer to water.  Because of the different refractions, or how light is bent when it goes through it, fluorocarbon almost disappears in water while both mono and fluoro both look clear out of water.

The clear coats will need to have a refraction closer to air for the "effect" to be seen by our eye, and closer to water for the "effect" to be seen by fish.  Now that is a tall order.

If you take your expensive car with the chrome on it, and carefully check it out, I did with a knife, you will see that the chrome is not clear coated at all.

I hope this insight might help get someone working on a clear that can keep chrome looking like chrome once cleared.  For now, metallic chrome is the best and only option.  Everything else is just going to be a pretty silver.

• Like 1

I have come to the conclusion, that I need to use tapes or be happy with the color that comes from what I have talked about, Spaz Stix (exspensive compared to others) and Rustoleum chromes. These gives a close color to the gizzard shade and crappie anyway. Other then going to an abstract scheme....it doesn't really matter to me. I like making natural bait schemes anyways. 

Getting really interested in holographic with inks and transparent paints tho.

I have taken many baits and brushed on a clear, and while tacky, Roll the bait in silver glitter. Press firmly all around and let dry. Rub off any loose excess glitter and paint. Different size silver or hologram glitter makes for some cool looking baits. It will take a couple more coats of clear to get a good finish.  :mellow:

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2016 at 6:25 PM, Salty's said:

Anyone can make a chrome lure. NOW show me a clear coat over it. THEN I'll believe you got something there...

The whole truth-like it or not!  I can't remember the last time I owned a chromed lure!

Edited by smallmouthaholic
additional content

Lol, very nice idea!

Thanks

I was thinking about a holographic film that you can buy used for holding gifts, flowers, etc. It's semi transparent and I believe a silver paint or whatever under the film would look pretty good. Then paint over that with inks and transparents.

I'm going to give it a try. I'll post if it turns out ok. :D

The best top water lure I have ever used is the salt water model of Super Spook in clown color. Chrome won't stay on so I have a small box with no chrome. I'm not going to sink the money for the chrome outfit that will do them so I just keep buying as I need them. I'm not going to pay $9.00 to have a lure chromed when I can buy it new for the same or less.

Edited by Musky Glenn
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, ddl said:

now if it's not chromed  enough  i wondering what you want

But, is it clear coated?

I have several chrome baits in my tackle box and it is a metallic chrome, un-cleared.  Over painting is an un-cleared lacquer.  It scratches bad, but it is chrome, and I do believe chrome catches fish better.

I have looked into the copper paints for conductivity, then a chrome plating process, and I have no doubt that if I had the room and could meet safety controls I could chrome plate lures.  But, as my test indicate, clear coat it and it is negated.

Chrome plating is an environmental disaster so it is strictly controlled in todays world.  The chrome paints and "washes" that are out there are awesome, but clear it and it is destroyed.

ddl, I do not disagree the lures you show are wonderful, in fact, I could use a few of those in my tackle box.  But, back to the question, is it clear coated?  How durable are they?

I believe that this is the problem.

Foils, tapes, glitters, I use them and love them, but they are not chrome once cleared. 

I really do believe chrome catches fish better, but, I have finally realized, that with current technology, I am not going to get it with any clear coat I can find or that is currently out there.

• Like 2