gliders

slammer wake lure

Actually don't have a lathe at the moment. All my woodworking stuff is in storage in Colorado still. No place yet to set up a shop out here. I found a 12X30 shop space locally but it has been tied up with the current occupant. Hopefully by spring I will be able to go get all my tools. I am just hand carving everything right now, but I am good at it so it is OK. My carving is more or less up to speed, I have been practicing my painting a lot recently. 

From what I understand, the smaller Jet lathes are well regarded as a less expensive option, but for $100 I think you will have to stick to Craigslist. You can't hardly buy your gouges for much less than that.

Do give me a shout. It is sorta crazy at the moment, but we can get together sometime in the next month I am certain. 

Cheers!

SS

the wife is always asking me "why do do you have to be so contrary " (after 36 years of marriage???...whew!!) Don't mean to stir the pot about this "V" joint on the slammer style bait ....but...IMHO its not that critical to the movement of the bait itself...if you look at a slammer they've been assembled with an appreciable distance between pcs...if one looks   at a jointed creek chub pikie the joint cut is not a traditional "V" but rather the opposite with points facing each other...iv'e made several "slammer style" baits with that setup, it's not as a critical cut as the standard "V" cut.....they swim great & catch....guess what i"m saying is do what works for you...Unless you dabble in OCD like Jigginpig suggested we may all be guilty of.(although the wife says I'm more anal than OCD..that coming from a retired teacher of 40 yrs...guess she knows of where she speaks..lol)

IMG_3195.JPG

Edited by surfk9
  • Like 1

21xdc i was just thinking, as i made dinner that i made a big jump in logic ...the pikie is a diver ...but on my top water slammer types with same cut,  those puppies knock big time against each other...i realized i was mistaken in comparing a diver to a top water, when the pikie is swimming it doesn't "slam" together...thanks for pointing that out...unlike the pikie mine doesn't have the center disc to stop the parts from colliding......they just pound away...can hear 'em coming 30 foot away...whoa sorry about picture quality ...hopefully you can still understand what i'm trying to say

IMG_3201.JPG

Edited by surfk9

19 hours ago, hoffbossn said:

exactly. i will be going with the Miter box route. I have all the tools just need to know how... I would almost rather have the know how instead of all the tools :/ 
i started making lures to be theraputic and save money.... so far im about $400 down and dont have ANYTHING decent to show for it LOL! but it will come in time... 

Jigginpig's method of leaving the square ends on the blanks to use to orient the blanks will work well in a miter box, too.  Just use a sharp saw, and not too much pressure.

indeed those are longer, but they do not have the same thickness, nor the same eye diameter. Also i was at home depot today and just looked for comparison, they had the bulk screw eyes in almost the exact same packaging, but they didnt have the right size. either to big or too small 

• Like 1

I repainted a slammer for a friend and was the first I had seen one... Since then, I have a few other friends that have bought several. They were all 1 joint baits that made a lot of noise when slowly retrieved as a wake bait...  These are what the joint cuts look like.

1-30-11baits003.jpg

NewPaintsandtails003.jpg

SlammerPumpkinseedBluegill001.jpg

SlammerPumpkinseedBluegill007.jpg

SlammerPumpkinseedBluegill005.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jonister said:

indeed those are longer, but they do not have the same thickness, nor the same eye diameter. Also i was at home depot today and just looked for comparison, they had the bulk screw eyes in almost the exact same packaging, but they didnt have the right size. either to big or too small 

I think you'll play he!! trying to get a .091 X 1 1/2" screweye to open up or fail.

• Like 1

Nice pumpkinseed paint job 21xcd! IDK about Lexan tails for those things, sorta like the way the plastic moves. 

Once y'all get a handle on the Slammer, make a Rago "Top Trout" copy. They are a more naturalized version of a Slammer, and they use a Lunker City 10" "Fin-S-Fish" for a tail. 

Actually, a Fin-S-Fish works really well as a tail on a Slammer too. 

Just sayin'.