token12

Paint removal method

Unless it's a suspending bait,  a light sanding to give the surface some "tooth" before painting is all I do too.  Personally, I've never had good results with soaking baits in a solvent.  But if I had a blast box, I'd probably use it all the time because a major reason you repaint is that the old finish is torn up and blasting removes all the old finish that otherwise has to be removed anyway, while preserving any detail in the plastic blank.

A few months ago the people here tried all types of chemicals and techniques to remove paints. Nothing totally worked, different outcomes happened. I guess that it was the paint type, plastic used to make the baits, etc. As BobP stated it's not the way, unless you find something we hadn't tried.

I use backing soda for things like this to get into small areas. Sanding with very light grit (240-400+) is my preferred method then complete with the blasting. I don't do this very often at all, but this does work for me. The blaster I use is for other things in the shop mostly.

:ph34r:

We use medium grit baking soda. It works great on plastic lures. It does not remove the details in the lure as long as you don't blast it for too long. I would not recommend it on wooden lures as it gets into the wood too much. Also it is no good on epoxy finishes just factory clear coats

• Like 4

Just the amount that I have done of it. I see what you are saying Hughesy. Plastic is the only thing I have used it on. Some types of paint (manufactures) doesn’t come off as easy either. What clear was on the old baits that I have done must not have been there at all or hardly none. It was you I believe that turned me on to using it in a post you made. I’ve never damage the detail of a lure yet. I only use pressures that gets the paint off, no more. Next time I may just try the whole lure out “of mine”, not someone else’s. LOL

:ph34r: