SW Lures

My Duplicator & Shop

The occasional post on the subject once or twice per year is enough to keep all the players in touch, as I have said, there are only a few of us.

I normally use bicycle chains and sprockets for the drive mechanism. My new bicycle seat design uses bevel gears. Unfortunately I was unable to source the gears at the right size and right price, so I decided to do the research and design my own, to be cast in resin. If the gears work out, this will open up a whole new world of possibilities, being able to manufacture my own gears to the exact spec that I require. I haven't begun to collect the ideas yet, but the dup m/c would be a place to start; by gearing down the drive screw speed, the surface finish can be directly controlled. This function can be done by sprocket and chain, but it gets messy and cumbersome.

Dave

No problem Dale, I just need to take some newer pics but pretty busy today as I am heading off tomorrow for Christmas (1200 m drive) so I will try and take some  pics when I get back before new year.

The picture  below is of an earlier version (Jan 2015), that is 2 years back so there has been quite a few changes since.  also LOVE that old Gunstock Lathe.

As you may be able to see instead of rollers and pipe I opted to go semi CNC and used 4 linear bearings and 2 x bars for the horizontal slides with a ball nut to  drive the bed along, all very Sssmmmmmoooooth -  and pretty cheap these days on eBay.   

Anyway I will check back in after Christmas with some newer pics.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas all.

Pete

Ames gunstock lathe.jpg

Copy Lathe 31.JPG

• Like 3

WOW, I feel a little stone age compared to yours Pete. I see what your talking about now with the feeding system.  Nice work, quite complex. Even a dust system. That's what I am going to put on mine. I have the main trunk line near by and I'll just drop a flex hose down.

The other  turner/duplicator with the gun stocks is interesting. It seems that any horizontal turning of a piece is and most become much more complex (drive system, gears, shafts, etc).

I guess we all have a Inspector Gadget in us.

You do the same Pete!

Dale :)

Edited by DaleSW
Typo

And yeah not to mention a gulf, a continent....maybe two, two oceans for Ray. Way to far for a four wheeler ride.

I have been thinking of a motor being mounted underneath and bring the one drive shaft up with quality gears to change angles, divide to each side. This should keep the movement constant and smooth.

Another thing that I didn't mention is I use metal bits. The reason is, these don't have such a wide gap between the cutters. This way the cutter doesn't get gum up as bad. The second thing is the metal seems much better.

The sad thing is I prefer making my baits by hand at this time. If you look at my messy table, on the right you will see my files, knives, pencils, etc. One day I may go back but I feel I'm learning much more doing it by hand. I enjoy it.

Dale

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay, it's been a pretty busy Christmas/ New year, hope everyone had a good break.

Took a while to get the pics and edit them, hope they are clear enough to spot whatever you are looking for.

This version is about 12 months advanced to the previous Pic (compare ''Plan Views":lol:) , so there have been a lot of alterations/ tweaking--next big job is to organize the wiring, looks like a nightmare doesn't it??

Pete

copy lathe 6.JPG

copy lathe PL.JPG

copy lathe FRONT.JPG

copy lathe L.JPG

copy lathe R.JPG

copy lathe REAR.JPG

• Like 3

Very nice set up Pete. Lol, mine now looks to be out of the stone age. Won't even try to make one of those. I'm just very interest in what you have done with your duplicator and understand why, except for one thing. I notice you are using AC input (or think I do), but why are you using DC? I figure you are going to get a converter and haven't had a chance yet.

No matter what, it's a very nice set up!

:worship:

Dale

Thanks Dale /Dave---the 240V is for a battery charger (12V), and a transformer for the saw which now runs on 18v, gives about 2000 more revs and maybe a bit more torque.

The blanks shown in the machine are 60mm (2.5''), by moving the 'stylus' it will cut anything between 100mm (4'')  down to  50mm ( 2'' ) blanks , using the same ' pattern".  It's self feeding and takes up to 4 minutes a cycle  (4") depending on the blank length or about 12-15 blanks a 7' stick.

Looking at the dates on that originally posted picture, it's just on 2 years since I started this version, there were another couple of versions before that, so have been playing around for probably 3 years --I like to think I'm learning something but  sh-t  it's taken some time :o   :o  :o.

Pete

Edited by hazmail

LOL Ben, I'm impressed with Pete's duplicator. I saw the wiring but it gave me a chance to see where it went to. A lot of guessing on my part. 

It's funny to see people adapt to a issue that they face and start to find answers. It's been happening ever since man.

I would like to see it in action to. It's impressive nevertheless.

Thanks Pete

5 hours ago, DaleSW said:

LOL Ben, I'm impressed with Pete's duplicator. I saw the wiring but it gave me a chance to see where it went to. A lot of guessing on my part. 

It's funny to see people adapt to a issue that they face and start to find answers. It's been happening ever since man.

Thanks Pete

Oh I was impressed too Dale. Pete's knowledge of all the different components used in his duplicator, and how they work together, is nothing short of genius.

Ben

Q .."LOL Ben, I'm impressed with Pete's duplicator. I saw the wiring but it gave me a chance to see where it went to. A lot of guessing on my part. 

Thanks Pete "

Thanks Dale and everyone else . This morning out of the blue I realized I have "Hijacked " you thread Dale, I'm very sorry it was never my intention, I saw  your thread "My Duplicator & Shop" and just assumed it was Paste Your Duplicator, how bloody stupid I am.

Anyway my intention was  not to take anything away from yours Dale, just show the variations, these things  are basically all the same at the cutting head but  with slightly different ways of getting there.

Sorry mate :wub::wub:

bigBlue2  - sorry no plans here, this thing has evolved over 2-3 years :lol:, it sometimes really tests my memory when I need to alter something. You should be able to get an idea of most of the components/ processes from the posted pictures, this is why I posted them- the principles in most copy lathes are very similar, nothing new here--check out the pic of the Gun stock Lathe, lots of similarities here too.

Mark-- The stock is pulled in when the saw head returns to begin a new blank-- by the pawl attached to the bottom bed, see att pic.

I really need to start a new thread--

Pete.copy lathe PL.JPG

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1