joelhains

Musky sized molds?

The commercially available mold is lame IMO. making a two part plaster mold of the original is fairly easy. Check out Solarbaits video on Yiutube about two part molds and use his technique. 

However,  making the .062 wire and lead insert is the harder part. That can be cloned by. Asking your own peg board-like wire bending pattern and making a two part mold of the lead end of the harness. 

Once done, my baits look and run identically but I am more into making my own baits now. 

I have been using harder plastisol for my Muskie jigs, 10" paddletAil swimbait and Dawg style baits. 

Depending on the bait I have been using Lurecraft Saltwater and the one that is slightly softer and recommended for Muskie baits. 

Shrinkage is a challenge and it took me a while to realize I was pouring too hot - which lead to more shrinkage. I learned a lot in here and on Yiutube and also by making a ton of mistakes - none safety related though. 

You likely know this but - Buy a proper mask (organic vapour), safety glasses and protective clothing and make sure it is a well ventilated area. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kayaksticks said:

Baitjunkies ledger comes in a  big size which I have. Its a monster of a swimbait. They also have a giant twin tail grub that my budy has and says its massive as well.

Both of those are baby sized compared to the baits guys up here are chucking at these fish. This bull Dawg bait they are referring to, you will often find guys tossing the pounder version in the fall, that is right, it is a full pound (16oz) and I have seen a 32" long 2lb version of it as well ;) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaveMc1 said:

Both of those are baby sized compared to the baits guys up here are chucking at these fish. This bull Dawg bait they are referring to, you will often find guys tossing the pounder version in the fall, that is right, it is a full pound (16oz) and I have seen a 32" long 2lb version of it as well ;) 

Man, my monitor sagged from the weight of those baits!

For the size of musky lures, I think you'd have to do an open pour mold and not an injection mold.   if you wanted to do an injection then probably go with silicone so you won't have the shrinkage.  It's going to take some time to hit the pot life or cure before removing it.. but silicone would hold up pretty good to them teeth. 

1 hour ago, TroutSupport.com said:

For the size of musky lures, I think you'd have to do an open pour mold and not an injection mold.   if you wanted to do an injection then probably go with silicone so you won't have the shrinkage.  It's going to take some time to hit the pot life or cure before removing it.. but silicone would hold up pretty good to them teeth. 

One guy I know personally over here pours all of his baits (several different musky baits) in 2 piece aluminum hand pour molds. BIG aluminum molds LOL.