CNC Molds N Stuff

Life of Teflon Pins

I don't think they wear out from the heat, but I could be wrong.  In a silicone mold they don't get very hot but in an aluminum mold they would probably get a lot hotter.

I have some that have poured 200,00+jigs with approximately 200 teflon pins  and I don't see any breakdown of the teflon. I use a mic to check the diameter on the ends where they would be in the lead.

what makes them wear out is they are pulled out with needle nose pliers and grabbed by the end instead of grabbing them in the middle. when grabbed on the end and using too much pressure with the pliers they get distorted, oblong, and then can't get the weed guard in the hole.

• Like 2

I was the one who started the craze here, learning about it from George Reeves. I've had teflon pins going on 6 years and they are still good. The only thing that happens to them is that they get  bent a little bit (which you can bend them back) or I lose a few now and then. I easily pour 6-10 K jigs with the pins per year.  I also use mine for painting as well. I wouldn't do this any other way.

• Like 1

I'm working on a project with a 1/4" diameter core.  The original core pin was made from 303 stainless.  It worked ok, but even very hot there were some constriction areas where voids often appeared.  I switched to a 1/4" teflon core pin, and the voids are all but eliminated.  There are some little things, but the difference in results is huge.  Even with a cold mold.  If the biggest problem with the teflon pin is mechanical damaged from removal my next step is to try to make it stronger.  I already installed a collet closer (a 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck would crush the rod) on my small lathe so I could turn the nose of the core round, and drill a hole in the tip for a mating wire core.  Now my thought is to turn it around, put it back in the lathe, and drill and tap it for a screw that will reinforce it and provide a stronger point to use for pulling it out of the cast item. 

I wanted something that works, but I also want something that lasts.  Thank you very much guys. 

P.S.  A second benefit for the collet closer is that it makes radiusing the ends of mold alignment pins much faster than the 3 jaw I was using before. 

Edited by Bob La Londe