RayburnGuy

Pork Rinds

i know strike king had some a few years back, but probably discontinued it.  But this is a tackle building forum so I think making our own should probably be a good topic.  I know alot of people think as pork for colder water, but i have always used real pork year round.  If you can find the ones that float it always seemed better to me.  it was a 50/50 chance for floaters with uncle josh.  But if you have any old pork left, add a few drops of glycerin to the jar and maybe a little anise oil.  that should keep them fresh.

Thanks Stretcher. I've done some research on making them, but this is for a friend and he said he would rather buy them if anybody was still making them.  It doesn't seem that hard from what I've read. The hardest part seems to be scraping the fat off. The rest is pretty much just soaking them in brine and then dying them.

The last two companies that I know of that were making pork rinds was Uncle Josh and Super Pork. I know that Uncle Josh went out of business and I can't find anything on Super Pork so I'm guessing they've gone out of business as well.

My friend has a couple hogs to be butchered so I guess he's going to have to put on his pork rind making hat.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Ben, I think the last port trailer companies were Uncle Josh and Super Port, and both of them have stopped production as far as I know.  You can see a few jars of Uncle Josh still for sale on Ebay at exorbitant prices.

I actually have 5-6 jars of Uncle Josh and Super Port still sitting in my garage fridge.  All are more than 5-7 yrs old but still OK as far as I can tell.  Various colors and sizes.  If your buddy is interested, send me a PM and I'll supply specifics.

• Like 2