StuntGruntLures

BUCKTAIL TEASERS

If you are talking about tying to treble hooks like what Ben is referring to. Think about tying them yourself. Other then getting a vise it's relatively inexpensive. This opens you up to make other baits like bucktail for strippers, etc. I really don't know what you are fishing for.

To me a teaser or stinger is a extension to the main bait to add its effectiveness w/a secondary hook. Example; a bucktail with a soft paddle grub body on the bucktail w/another hook. This helps with short strikes.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
Left out a comment

On 12/16/2016 at 8:29 AM, StuntGruntLures said:

sorry, I am talking about buck tail teasers,that you can attach to spoons , crankbaits, etc...   we use them for salt water reds,specs. come in white,red,chartruse  colors.

Are these what what you mean?

2017-01-01 13.12.20.jpg

All the bucktailed hooks that are manufactured are way overpriced in my opinion.There is probably a tutorial  on this sight but all I do is cut off a length of bucktail;stick it through the eye of the hook;even it off on either side of the hook,slide a short length of surgical tubing (usually red) over the eye of the hook and the bucktail.Then I coat the tubing and some of the bucktail with epoxy.When the epoxy cures ,trim off the bucktail that goes through the hook eye and maybe put a second coat of epoxy on it.I've done a few with flashabou and flashabou accent that gives more color choices and more glam.Give it a try ;it beats paying $1 (or more) apiece and it's pretty easy.

• Like 1

I agree that you're better off tying them. If you really do need bulk there are vises made specifically for bucktail trebles. There's even a winder that wraps the thread with glue available if you are doing production of a lure.  You can find them relatively inexpensively, but then the you get a low quality hook with low quality bucktail.

clemmy

• Like 1

Depending on the hook  size and brand, materials used and head finish prices can be from $0.75 up to $2-$3 wholesale tied in the US in bulk, I.e. 100 units of same size and color.  I tie a few thousand of them a year.  If you think you can  do quality consistant work 100 at a clip go for it.  Also figure in your time at your hourly rate you make at your job, setup, breakdown, tool cost, material cost, packaging, shipping, taxes, and all the other things people that don't do it for a living forget about.  Also do you have to keep all your components in stock and what is the carrying cost.  It all adds up.  It can cost you about $0.05 every time you touch the product from the time you start to the time you ship and get paid and file your taxes.  That's my experience over that last 15 years tying.  

• Like 1