jonister

Why not fiberglass?

I see a few lures here and there that are sealed with fiberglass resin, but why is this not as common? I am currently making a cedar Ulua lure for some friends in Hawaii and decided to seal it with fiberglass resin. I also did this on a glide bait I am currently finishing. I know it wouldn't exactly work for a structural coating without chop strand or woven roven, but then again super glue is only structural to an extent. I mean it is heavy, so I would never use it on a smaller lure, but for heavy or large lures why not? It is roughly 30$ a gallon and cures fast with MEK. Tell me my fiberglass BOAT isn't water proof? I figure if I can use it on the boat, why not a lure? 

I tried FG resin, it gives a good solid canvas to paint on. BUT, when transits from liquid to solid, the process is very quick and is inevitably lumpy, even if you use a lure turner. Because the material is so hard, it takes a lot of work to sand it smooth again.

My other concern would be the brittle nature of a thin FG resin coating.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

^ I understood that. 

I think it would work great as a seal-coat. Can't see why not. Sounds nasty AF though, and don't want to deal with that sort of nonsense. 

I am about to try Art Resin for the first time, I got the test kit ages back but have not been doing any lure making since we moved in to the apartment. Topcoats are a never ending struggle. 

If anyone here is ever on Talk Bass, topcoats are the "best bass for metal" of Tackle Underground. 

SS

• Like 1

I used fiberglass resin to seal the plywood floor in my job boat... On a hot day, when the sun beats down on it, one of the corners always warps and rolls up about 2" off the deck.... Once night falls and it cools back down, the floor flattens out again

No telling what would happen to a crank bait in a hot tackle box thrown into the cool water

Try Solarez dual cure resin.  I use it all the time for a top coat.  It can have a blush on dark colors, because it has some kind of a curing agent, but it's not bad at all, and works.

Make sure no UV light is present (sunlight, LED lights), dip and hang over dipping jar, remove final drop(s) with a paper towel,  and hang in a UV fingernail light box for three minutes.

This is what I use:

http://solarez.com/products/low-voc-dual-cure-polyester-resin/

I've done the Solarez, in fact I have 4 crank baits curing in my window sill as we speak.  I really don't mind the sanding, I even have been adding that microscopic FG powder to it to make it sand better. The thing I like about it is that it is thin enough to really soak in, and will sand down to the wood. I'll just have to see if it can hold up.  To me it is Solarez that I don't have to dip. 

17 hours ago, JRammit said:

I used fiberglass resin to seal the plywood floor in my job boat... On a hot day, when the sun beats down on it, one of the corners always warps and rolls up about 2" off the deck.... Once night falls and it cools back down, the floor flattens out again

No telling what would happen to a crank bait in a hot tackle box thrown into the cool water

I should mention the resin I used was Bondo fiberglass resin.... Don't know how much it differs from other resins, but it says fiberglass on the can...... I would never use it on a lure, Solarez would be a much better option as Mark stated 

12 hours ago, fish pirate said:

Hey Mark,

Just a side note, LED lights are highly recommended for use around UV cured resins. They don't emit uv light that causes Solarez or products like it to fire. My whole shop is lit with them for that reason. 

I called Solarez, and was told LED lights do emit UV light.  I lost a dip jar full of Solarez because I dipped and dripped back into the open jar under my new, improved LED work lights.  I would do a test of whatever lights you use before risking losing a whole container of Solarez, like I did.

I wound up just using the old 8' fluorescent lights in my garage, and living with poorer lighting temporarily.

On 12/16/2016 at 0:13 PM, mark poulson said:

I called Solarez, and was told LED lights do emit UV light.  I lost a dip jar full of Solarez because I dipped and dripped back into the open jar under my new, improved LED work lights.  I would do a test of whatever lights you use before risking losing a whole container of Solarez, like I did.

I wound up just using the old 8' fluorescent lights in my garage, and living with poorer lighting temporarily.

You are correct most all lights we use have a UV component being emitted and LED is no different.    You can add filters to block most of it and there are some good options used in pharmaceutical and food industry to inhibit photo degradation (most commonly due to UV wavelengths of light) but not something for the hobby guy.

• Like 1