grosenberg

Couple questions regarding top coat, and lure assembly.

Hi All,

Thanks again for taking the time out to read my questions and answer. I have a few questions, mostly from dipping in MDU. I bought both KBS Diamond as well as some Dick Nites, I seem to like DN's better but it means nothing because I can't seem to say why. When I dip, I just hang the lures from the top on a stick. How do I prevent the MDU  from dripping down over the eye lids. Trying to clean that is hard. 

I need to get some blocks like that! They look awesome.

Heddon Torpedo - So I have some blanks of these, painted a few and put it together. How do you paint it, dip it, then put on the extra hardware? So I drilled a tiny hole, then twisted in the hardward and put a little mdu over it. (I also put a dab in the hole as well, thinking it would help secure it) Is this the right thinking? I assume this is one where spraying MDU would make more sense.

Does anyone know a good video or a write up on spraying MDU and/or Dipping?

Thanks all!

PS: What is the solution they dip the lures into the "clean and clear" up the lure? The one that cleans the bill as well?

Edited by grosenberg

To keep MCU off the eyes just hang it from the front of the lure and allow it to drip off the rear hook hanger. (I don't coat the lips) You can remove that last little bit that won't quite drip off the rear hanger by wiping it with the corner of a paper towel. If you haven't read up on how to store DN I highly suggest you do so. You will end up losing a lot of DN by dipping your lures since any exposure to moisture laden air will start the curing process. Most of us that use DN have gone to the "tap the can" method of dispensing DN and are either brushing it or spraying it.

Same procedure for the tiny torpedos. You can screw the line tie in part of the way and hang it from the line tie. Also screw in the rear hook hanger and let it drip off the hanger like mentioned above. Once the DN is cured then mount your hardware.

There has been several threads concerning spraying DN here at TU. I suggest using the search function and looking for "spraying DN" or "spraying MCU" or something similar.

Ben

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grosenberg said:

The search function is not working properly. Has not worked for me since the software update.

I'll look more into the tap the can, etc for storing DN. I'm slowly leaning towards epoxy but it takes longer to do lol.

Thanks for the help.

My bad. I thought they had the search function working. Keep trying it from time to time. There is a LOT of good reading on the subject of DN in the archives. I would go into it, but being that I type with two fingers it would take me until next week to put it all down.

If there are any specific questions you have about DN I'll do my best to try and help.

Ben

the last strike king lure i bought was the kvd squarebill when they first came out  i remember kvd winning a tournament on the sexy shad color ..so i had to have it   i went to 5 dicks stores and payed at that time just under $4 for them   i got all they had kept 5 for myself and ebayed the rest.....i was getting $15 ea...what a bait that turned out to be...funny how the big O came back into play..now after learning how to paint ive bought my last bait for sure...