Hannibal

Cracked powder paint

I've been using powder paint since 2003, I've never had that happen, even when using different brands and types of powder. So here is what you can do to get more help, describe how you are applying the base color and then the second color.  Knowing this can help because it sounds to me like the second color isn't binding to the base color and simply lifting off. Is this happening after you cure or before?  Be as specific as you can because we can't help unless we have an idea of how you paint, like are you dipping in a jar or a fluid bed, are you curing in between coats or not at all, so if you can add some specifics someone should be able to help.

The base color is being applied with a fluid bed. The second color is being tapped on top. The base is not cured prior to second color application. The second color is pro tec super glow green. The only other color I have this cracking problem with is the ruby slippers. With that color, it doesn't matter if there is a base coat or not. In both cases the cracking is very visible but you can't feel the fissures at all with a fingernail. If needed I'll try to post pics as well. 

Pic's are a pain for more then one reason but it would be very helpful. I redip, tap, airbrush multiple coates a lot. I have never had this issue either. I use Pro Tech also, the glow green I use but the ruby slippers I haven't yet. I keep thinking about a contaminant but it only happens with these two. I'll will assume you do have many other colors by what and how you have stated your problem.

I heat and get the powder on quick and then complete all of the work that I can get into the oven then I make the final curing of the powder. Question to make sure I'm getting this right. Do you allow cooling before the second color?

I have been powder painting as long as Smalljaw  and I have never had that happen. I have been doing multi color powder painting for over 8 years (before it was even popular, similar to your process and still have never had that happen. it has to be a paint issue, because I have never seen of what you are referring to. Pics definitely would help.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cadman said:

I have been powder painting as long as Smalljaw  and I have never had that happen. I have been doing multi color powder painting for over 8 years (before it was even popular, similar to your process and still have never had that happen. it has to be a paint issue, because I have never seen of what you are referring to. Pics definitely would help.

I still have the two multi-colored jigs you sent me years ago, and I take a look at them every time I think I know what I'm doing, just to remind me I don't!

Edited by mark poulson

I cure my two color jig heads at 350 for thirty minutes, in a toaster oven, and don't have any issues.

Maybe your second powder should be cured at a lower temp, so you might try curing it at 250 or 300 for thirty minutes, and see if that helps.

You might also be getting too much powder on the tap-on side, and that might be shrinking as it cures, causing the lines in the tap coat.

A call to the powder manuf. might also help, since they would know the quirks of each color they sell.

Edited by mark poulson

After further analysis of the powders I'm using, all of the super glow colors and the ruby slippers are doing it. The supplier I bought them from repackages them from bulk into their own containers. So that being said, I believe the supply is either bad or contaminated. None of my other colors have this problem including others from the same supplier or otherwise. 

It isn't cracked, it looks to be blistered. Since it is the holidays and you might not hear from manufacturer or supplier for a bit I have something for you to try. When you cure that head using the two colors giving you problems, try reducing the temp to 270 and cure for 30 minutes and see if the same thing happens, I say that because it looks as if the paint is rising up or blistering, I never had it happen with powder but when removing old paint with a heat gun that is what happens.

Yes, curious on this one myself. I have the super glow powder in 2 colors, and only used it 1 time. but did not see this.

I bake different than some here. My jigs are put in the cold oven, then turned on for 25 minutes, then turned off so it is a slow process of heating up.

• Like 1

I use all the super glow colors and do multiple colors on one jig and never have had your issues.

I just did some 1/8 and 1/4 oz slab jigs in the same exact color pattern you have there with no issues.

I buy my super glow powders from TJ's tackle in the one pound canisters.

Generally I cure them at 350* for 1/2 hour.

• Like 1